Tuesday 20 September 2011

Ruffles Buffalo Wing Chips


One thing that is great about potato chips is the endless possibilities of flavours. And I love that the chip companies have been jumping on the wing wagon.


Ruffles have been making Hot Wing chips for a while. And to admit to some unprofessionalism on my part, this was a review from 2010 that I found recently. Actually my good friend Julianna was the first to tell me about these.

First off, I'm glad they called them Hot Wing. Buffalo wings are very specific in smell and taste. But Hot Wings . . . a hot wing sauce is just hot and tasty.


I have to say I prefer a ridged chip, and in my opinion Ruffles chips are crunchy and flavourful.


Those wings on the package look not too bad.




That's ah, that some ingredient list. At least hot sauce is in there. Before salt even.



This was a regular sized bag. As usual, half full of air.



Some things about the chips to point out. First you can notice the size. That's a big chip. Good ridges, however you can see the browning and/or burning. For 'specially selected potatoes' I wonder what their selection process is.


Let's look close up. Reeeallly close. Lots of flavour powder on that chip. Its the kind that helps tingle the lips and tongue. There was a little bit of a burn, but nothing crazy. The flavour is a mix of all dressed, salt and vinegar and bbq. Did it really taste like hot wing? Not in a blind tasting. But I think this is a tasty chip with a minor kick.



In the States I've seen "Molten Hot Wing" chips, and the next time I go, I'm gonna buy some and see how they compare. For now, these are a decent 'wing' chip.


2 comments:

Chris said...

I was pleasantly surprised with Lay's Carolina BBQ style chips. They are my favorite chip now. I was expecting garbage to be honest because SOME chip makers use some awful imitation flavors.

Lord of the Wings said...

@Chris - I have not seen those in my stores but it sounds good.