Friday 10 July 2009

WK's Destroyer Tandoori Wings

Several years ago I made an Indian inspired "The Devil's Tandoori" wing that I baked in the oven. It was good, but I wanted to go more authentic, more painful. The Devil wasn't enough. I turned to the Hindu faith and the awesome power of Shiva, 'The Destroyer', to make a spicy and flavourful wing.



I've also been addicted to some JB videos lately too. Inspiring the next episode of WKTV. Please excuse the worst Cajun accent ever. Also excuse the bad camera angles at the end, I was the camera person as well as the star:





INGREDIENTS

  • 8 whole chicken wings
  • 35 g (approx.) Tandoori Masala (you can make this, but I bought a commercial mix)
  • 15 g (approx.) Cayenne Pepper (disregard if you can't take heat, increase if you can)
  • 15 g (approx.) Crushed Red Chili Pepper (disregard if you can't take heat, increase if you can)
  • 300 ml Sour Cream (or yogurt)
  • 8 Bamboo Skewers (soaked in water for a while)



Instructions:
  1. Mix sour cream and seasoning together into thick paste.
  2. Wash & dry wings.
  3. Place wings in resealable bag (ie Ziploc) or container and add paste. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Refrigerate for 24 hours (or 2 hours min).
  5. 24 hours later, remove wings from marinade and pierce wings with skewers so they are long (you can grill directly, but skewers stretch the wing and help grill surface area).
  6. Heat charcoal grill to VERY high heat (hold hand over heat - if you can't hold longer than 3 seconds, that's perfect).
  7. Add wings to grill - cook for 6-8 mins. Flip. Cook for another 6-8 mins.
  8. Remove, and enjoy!




Here are the spices. I would have added more cayenne and chili powder for heat but I was afraid it would over power the tandoori masala. I was wrong. Next time, I would crank-it-up.


Sour cream. Yogurt is traditional, but I think sour cream is a better consistency.



8 Chicken wings whole. That's 16 wingette's and drumette's. I keep them whole because, well, they look cool skewered and stretched out. You can score the chicken to get the marinade deep into the wings, but I didn't want to break the skin.


The tandoori marinade paste. Soo thick.


Marinade into Ziploc and wings.


As Rob Reinford would say "Smoosh smoosh smoosh"



24 Hours later its time to skewer the wings. Look how in diagram 2 how stretched out the wing is. Lots of surface area to grill.



Skewers ready to be grilled. If only I had a tandoor oven.



Grilling. On high heat charwood it only takes 6-8 minutes per side.



And flip. That char looks burnt, but its not. It actually gives the wings a nice flavour.
No really, its not burnt.




What Would I Do Differently Next Time? Not a whole lot. I would definitely add more heat (cayenne & red chili pepper). While there was a growing heat, it never reached "Destroyer" levels. Well that's not true. Late that night, my throat erupted in an acidic fire that burned dry and painfully. Tears formed, coughing was uncontrollable. All of this was out of nowhere and I was on the road, with nothing to quench the fire. So beware.



Also, cooking in an actual Tandoor oven instead of a grill would have made these the best, but both use charcoal and the grill gives it a more smokey flavour. Overall, I was pretty happy with these wings.
Remember, tune in next time for another exciting episode of:



WKTV
SAME WING TIME
SAME WING CHANNEL


6 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

They look delish! Any left over for me?

Chris said...

ha ha ha ha.....oh, JB is going to kick your ass, BOY! ;) Pretty spooky with parts of your imitation, are ya'll related?

Great looking recipe that I fully intend to steal and do on the Big Green Tandori soon.

Chris said...

Ok just finished watching the whole thing. One problem....you are supposed to be waving a burning cigarette around in your kitchen, lol.

If you have some spare time, you can make your own:
http://www.poptastic.com/tandoor.html

wingking master said...

listen this is a patened product ! your idea WRONG! THESE WHOLE WINGS ON SKEWERS IS MY PATENTED PRODUCT.
WORLD WIDE!

YOU ARE A FAKE!!!!!!!!!

THE WINGKING MASTER

Lord of the Wings said...

Teena - I wish!

Chris - I think this would be perfect for the BGT!!!

WKM - Oh I don't even know where to begin . . . sorry I missed that patent. That was a patent on crazyness? But thanks for stopping in.

Anonymous said...

YOUR WINGS ON SKEWERS IS MY PATENTED PRODUCT!
TAKE THIS OFF THIS WEB SITE A.S.A.P. ARE WE WILL TAKE FURTHER ACTION MR. LORD!!

FROM THE WINGKING MASTER
EMAIL - wingking56@lycos.com