Tuesday 13 January 2009

WK Multi-rib Tasting PART II ~ RNW

Oooooh weeee we're cooking up a storm of ribs! The weather outside is frightful, so no bbq, but that didn't stop me from cooking ribs on and in the stove.







In Part I we covered Pot Boiled and Suicide style, and in this segment, we are checking out the Memphis Style BBQ Sauce, Apple Juiced Rib, and the BBQ Rubbed. Lets get down to it.






I wanted to do a different kind of bbq sauce then I usually make. I checked out a number of recipes, and while I didn't follow any in particular, I did take recipes from here and there. When I looked up to try and identify my sauce, the closest seemed to be Memphis Style. Although I need to point out -DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT HAD AUTHENTIC MEMPHIS STYLE BBQ SAUCE AND THIS MAY BE FAR FROM TRADITIONAL MEMPHIS STYLE SAUCE.








INGREDIENTS:


  • apple juice (3/4s of a large can)
  • chili sauce (whole bottle)
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • sirachi sauce
  • vinegar
  • brown sugar
  • s&p
  • garlic powder




INSTRUCTIONS


  1. Add wet ingredients, stir
  2. Add dry ingredients, stir
  3. Bring to a slight boil, stir
  4. Cook for about an hour, stirring.
The ingredients. I originally was going to use ketchup, but the chili sauce was so close to ketchup I didn't bother.


Everything ready to be mixed up


Whisking everything together. It smelled wonderful. Sweet, spicy - a good mix.




Without a smoker and apple wood chips, I turned to apple juice to infuse my ribs with some fruity flavour. And man did I use the juice!
INGREDIENTS
Dry Rub
  • brown sugar
  • cayenne pepper
  • s&p
  • garlic powder
Other
  • side ribs
  • apple juice
  • Memphis Style BBQ Sauce
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Boil ribs in apple juice - about 1/2 a litre, the rest water
  2. Rub ribs with dry mixture.
  3. Preheat oven to about 350
  4. Place on a rack over a pan. In pan underneath ribs, add enough apple juice to fill pan about a cm
  5. Bake ribs. Keep checking every 20 mins and adding more apple juice to pan.
  6. Baking for about 1 1/2- 2 hours (approx).
  7. For last 20 minutes, baste ribs with bbq sauce. When finished, liberally brush on sauce.
  8. Enjoy.
A very sweet yet a hint of spicy dry rub. I love brown sugar.
And the ribs rubbed. Ready to be caramelized.


Ribs on a rack, over a pan, pouring in apple juice. A hint, place the pan/rack in the oven before adding juice to avoid having to carry and try and not spill. See the apple juice keeps the ribs moist and infuses the apple flavour instead of plain water.




The final product baked and basted. It just looks soo good. To me anyway.


Nice and tender, flavour throughout - what a good rib.



Nothing special here. These were the ribs I made LJ, who liked what I had done in the past.

The ribs rubbed in the generic bbq seasoning mixture I got at Bulk Barn.



The final product - LJ ate these with the idea of having the Memphis Style BBQ Sauce as table dipping sauce, but it was a little too sweet for her.

=======================================================

MEMPHIS STYLE BBQ SAUCE
WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY: I don't think anything. I really really liked this sauce. It was hitting all areas of my flavour receptors. I was disappointed that I only had a little left for bottling for later. The highlights of the sauce were the apple juice, brown sugar and chili sauce. Oh and the sirachi. Its a good sauce and would be as great for a table sauce as much as a basting one.
APPLE JUICED RIBS
WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY
: I was pretty happy with these too. Despite the apple bath, steaming and sauce, the apple was not dominating the flavour - but certainly enhanced it. It was a lot of work but it was worth it. I think this would be awesome if done on a bbq.
DRY BBQ RUBBED RIBS
WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY: I didn't eat these, and I am not a fan of that pre-made bbq rub - its way too salty for my liking. But LJ was happy - but agreed these were better on the charcoal grill.
==========================================
CONCLUSIONS
What a personal ribfest! And way cheaper too. I would have preferred all of these on the bbq (the pot boiled could be done on the bbq too and get the smokey flavour) but this was a good alternative. Its hard to say what my favourite was, as they were each very different. I love the tenderness of the pot boiled. The apple-Memphis ribs were a great traditional rib flavour, while the suicide was just bang on. The Suicide was probably my choice - different, but tasty. And easy.
========================================

No comments: