Monday 22 December 2008

WK Tri-Wing Tasting Recipes & Review


Due to some skin irritation, the doctor forbid me from hot sauce until the wounds near my mouth healed. But I had chicken wings in the fridge! Fresh wings! What could I do? Well, maybe I could experiment with some non-spicy flavours . . .



MARINADE:
  • soy sauce

INGREDIENTS:

  • wings
  • garlic
  • jalapeno
  • sirachi sauce

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Marinated wings in soya sauce overnight
  2. Next day, heat wok/fry pan to medium-high
  3. Add garlic and pepper, saute for maybe 1 minute
  4. Add wings & sirachi, discard leftover marinade.
  5. Cook until crispy - enjoy!


I felt like trying this dish after reading various Chinese inspired dishes. Above is the wings marinating in the soy sauce. And yes, they are in re-used milk bag. Excellent marinade bags.



Ooooh boy those wings hit the pan hot. The smell of the garlic, pepper and soya wings was good.

I know I know the doctor said no spicy food. But I couldn't resist!




I thought they looked good coming out. Well, they look like they are burnt, but I assure you that is the soya sauce, not black crispies.




When I bit into them, I kinda expected them to be overwhelmingly salty from all the soya sauce, but they weren't. They were an interesting change up from my usual wing routine.





What Would I Do Differently Next Time? I could have added more spices, and more heat, but over all I'm happy with what I made.



Ok the next one is kind of a cop out. This batch was made with Shake'n Bake BBQ Glazed. I felt a little shame using this for some reason.



It's pretty straight forward. Toss the wings in a little plastic bag with the seasoned mix. Place in the oven and bake and bam-o - you have tasty wings. Or chicken.




Here are the coated wings before baking.


And here is the after shot. The sauce was a sweet bbq that made for a nice glaze.

They were certainly sticky and sweet. But good.


What Would I Do Differently Next Time? I think the only way I personally would improve on this is add some cayenne pepper or chili flakes to up the heat. But this is a wing that I think just about anyone would like.



MARINADE:
  • ketchup
  • soy sauce
  • brown sugar
  • s&p
  • vinegar

  • PC Smokin' Stampede Beer & Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
  • Sirachi

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Marinate wings overnight with first 5 ingredients
  2. Next day, bake wings (discarding marinade) for approx 20 mins on high
  3. Remove wings from oven and add to wok already set on medium-high heat
  4. Stirfry wings and add BBQ sauce and sirachi until sauce is cooked in.


Post marinaded, pre-stir fried wings. Not lookin too hot in my opinion.




And they didn't taste good. The marinade didn't didn't make an impact. That's when I took the baked wings and stir fried them in bbq sauce.


Now they were goopy good.


What Would I Do Differently Next Time? The marinade was pretty much useless. The next time I would either A) slow cook them in the marinade adding coke, Worcestershire sauce and more spice which would lead to a fall off the bone wing or B) go straight for the stir fry in a bbq sauce and get to keep the wing crispiness.



Overall I was happy with my Tri-Wing tasting. Sure I snuck some spice in, but I could have gon for a lot more. But its always good to change things up once and a while.
Oh and on a side note, I'm all healed up and back to the spice! Thanks Doc.

No comments: