Monday 22 December 2008

SCORES ROTISSERIE & RIBS ~ Kanata ON

Rotisserie chicken seems to be big in Quebec and growing so in Ontario. Swiss Chalet has been around for a long time, and Ontarians can remember St. Hubert. Well another Quebec institution is invading, and this one is called Scores.



While it may sound like a sports bar, this is a gentrified, suburban, box-store restaurant. A step up in decor and presentation from a Swiss Chalet, Scores is, boiled down to it, a chicken and rib joint.



So what makes them stand out? Well, they put a lot of emphasis on their salad bar for one. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with it, having eaten for 4 years in a Uni cafeteria with an excellent salad bar. Just not many choices out there: 2 soups, fruit salad, and then your pretty typical salad toppings. But, the salad bar craze of the 70's has been over for a while, and this is a unique concept for most people nowadays.


I did get wings, but I got them more as a tasting than a meal. You might call it an appetizer, I guess. My main dish was a club sandwich. I was really craving a club sandwich, and I figured a rotisserie place should make a good chicken.




The sandwich was a constructed mostly like a classic Club: 3 slices of bread, lettuce, chicken, bacon, tomato. My complaint: the mayo was on the side. A lot of places put the mayo on the side and I hate it, because you cannot deconstruct a triple-decker sandwich quarter that is being held together by a toothpick. Grrr.



But the sandwich was good. Juicy white chicken breast, crispy bacon - it was all good. The fries on the side were blah frozen fries, and I got their 'sauce-gravy', which I didn't really care for.



LJ went with the ribs special, a full back of ribs and side with AYCE salad bar. The ribs were very tender - fall off the bone. The BBQ sauce was a mild, sweet yet slightly smokey sauce, but was pretty underwhelming. But enough of the entrees, let find out how the wings stacked up.



2008 THE SCORE 3.0: Scores Rotisserie & Ribs ~ Kanata

STYLE:

breaded, deep fried

PRICE:

$5.45 for 5

$9.75 for 12

$11.75 for 16

SAUCES:

§ Spicy

§ BBQ

§ Honey & Garlic

0/1

HEAT:

hot was not, but it was a tasty sauce

SIZE:

medium to large, relatively meaty

1.5/3

WETNAP FACTOR:

sauce on the side

n/a

CRISPINESS:

very crunchy – almost too crunchy. I take away a half point for that.

2.5/3

FLAVOUR:

the sauce was a sweet spicy, almost a sweet & sour. Unique for sure. I liked it but I wouldn’t want a ton of wings in this sauce.

1.5/3

SIDES:

veggies, sour cream and some cabbage as garnish (I hope its garnish)

2/3

CLEAN UP:

napkins, wetnaps

2/3

WING NIGHT:

none

0/1

OTHER:

this place is all about Rotisserie, so I would stick to that. Oh the ribs are tender, but not that special. And I don’t think the salad bar is that great either.

TOTAL:

Wings have an interesting fresh sauce, but overall they aren’t amazing.

9.5/17








These wings were a breaded or possible battered wing. They were crispy. Very crispy. Crunchy. Too crunchy. They were just very hard - possibly cooked too long. Not that they were burnt, but just really crunchy. They were medium to large in size, and relatively meaty.

The wings came plain with hot sauce on the side. The sauce was really unique. It was a very sweet sauce with a very small heat kick. It was almost like a sweet and sour sauce with a kick. But more hot sauce. If any of that makes sense. I wouldn't want this for all my wings, but it was good to see something different in the playing field.



FINAL SCORE:
Well, haven't had the rotisserie chicken, but the club is good, the ribs aren't bad and the wings, well, they are different, I give them that. 9.5/17





Scores Rotisserie & Ribs
155 Roland-Michener Drive, Kanata (and other locations)
scores.ca

No comments: