Monday 22 December 2008

GEORGIE's PIZZERIA ~ Ottawa ON


Several people had suggested the pizza from Georgie's. Apparently they were to be pretty good, but digging up information after the face was difficult. Why? Because of the name. See, there are two Georgie's pizzas in Ottawa. One is called Georgie's Pizza and Subs, and the other is called Georgie's Pizza and Subs. Oh, and they aren't affiliated.



I knew the location we had been told about was on Carling Ave, so I could narrow my research down. Since then I have come across 3 different names for this location: Georgie's Pizza and Subs, The Original Georgie's Pizza and Subs, and Georgie's Pizzeria.


Anyways, we went ahead and got some take-out pizza and wings. We got a large with sausage and onion. Opening the box, the pizza look exciting with its mozzarella cheese and big chunks of sausage sticking out.




My second favourite pizza topping is spicy Italian sausage (pepperoni being my first) and I was nervous that the sausage was going to come cut flat like pepperoni (I prefer it being in round balls), but it was rounded hunks of sausage. But they were pretty mild in terms of both heat and flavour.




The pizza crust was quite thick - not solid, but thick. The sauce was relatively thick there and a bit too tomatoey for my liking. It was a decent pizza, but not one I would go out of my way to order again. Not because it was a bad pizza, just not my style of pizza. But how would the wings turn out?






2008 THE SCORE 3.0: Original Georgie’s Pizza & Subs ~ Ottawa

STYLE:

deep fried from frozen

PRICE:

$8 for 1lb (approx 10 wings)

SAUCES:

§ mild/medium/hot

§ suicide

§ honey garlic

§ bbq

1/1

HEAT:

suicide had a nip, but no real bite

SIZE:

small to medium

1/3

WETNAP FACTOR:

sauce was on the side

n/a

CRISPINESS:

crispy, but nearly chewy

2/3

FLAVOUR:

decent, but standard pizza-place jug sauce

1.5/3

SIDES:

none

n/a

CLEAN UP:

n/a

n/a

WING NIGHT:

n/a

n/a

OTHER:

-pizza was decent . . . but probably order from somewhere else next time.

-not associated with the OTHER Georgie’s Pizza & Subs in Ottawa

TOTAL:

ok wings – acceptable in a pinch, I guess

5.5/10





Well, I watched the guys behind the counter pull a bag of wings out of the freezer and count out the wings for the deep fryer. Frozen, that can't be good. Well, maybe it can. When I got them home they were pretty small. They looked good as a wing though.




The suicide sauce was not very hot. I don't know, maybe its true when people say my heat receptors in my mouth must be burnt out, but I know super hot suicide sauce, and this wasn't it. It was a decent sauce, but nothing original.




The skin was nice a crispy, like they should be from the deep fryer. The meat was a little tough, but that's to be expected from frozen wings.


FINAL SCORE:

Well, I don't want to be mean, but this just wasn't the place for me to get wings or pizza. They make a fine pizza, but its just not my style. As for the wings, tiny, un-original wings. Maybe the other Georgie's is better? 5.5/10


The Original Georgie's Pizza & Subs
1661 Carling Ave, Ottawa (Not affiliated with the other "Georgie's Pizza in Ottawa")
Menu
Here

No comments: