Tuesday 1 August 2006

REILLY's RESTAURANT

*** Reilly's is now CLOSED ~ RIP ***


Six years ago I moved to the big city for school, where I met a lot of new people. One of those new people knew people at another school and introduced me. This was my first experience with Ryerson people. These people introduced me to 2 chicken wing phenomena:

1) The Ram in the Rye suicide wings (where my friend actually got people to watch me eat the formerly incredible wings). 2) Went with some Rye theatre students to their regular Thursday night hang out: Reilly's on Yonge. Its been about the six years since I was there, but so many times I have walked past and been tempted by the daily advertisement of $0.39 wings. Today, I caved.



Up the stairs to the second floor (the third floor is dancing at night) into the empty bar I went. I took perch at one of the window seats (seen in picture above) where I had a great view of the Yonge street. I took a quick look at the menu which was full of inexpensive fair and of course went with the wings (one price $0.39 all the time) . I also got an order of potato wedges. The very friendly waitress happily took my order, and within 10 mins, my lunch was served (the advantage of having no other patrons in the restaurant).




THE SCORE

SIZE of WINGS: PIGEON WINGS!!! tiny tiny tiny
HEAT: hot: 5/10, suicide 5.5/10
WET NAP FACTOR: 2.5/5
PRICE: $o.39 per wing

EXTRAS Info

SAUCE CHOICE: mild/medium/hot/suicide/bbq
SIDES: one celery stick and one carrot stick with blue cheese dip
WETNAP: 1!
DEEP FRIED, GRILLED, BATTERED: deep friend the traditional way
WING NIGHT: every day is wing day
OTHER: great view!!!


When it came to the wings, there were some good things, and some bad things:

THE GOOD:
Wings were full of flavour, deep fried and sauced in the traditional Buffalo style. I loved the taste.
THE BAD:
The suicide on the side was pepper sauce and it wasn't even hot.
THE UGLY:
PIGEON WINGS! They were so small, they easily were bite size.

The pictures don't really convey how small they were, but they were small. And at $0.39 each, they weren't that good a deal. But as I was eating them, I was totally taken back to childhood and eating Jaco's wings in Niagara Falls NY. I wished there was more sauce on the wings as what they did have was good, but not great.
I also got potato wedges on the side, which were a great side addition. They bread them then deep fry - giving the potato a crunch that sets them apart from your regular wedge.

So how did Reilly's rack up in the end? They get points for flavour and appearance, but they lost major points on size and not enough sauce. 2.5 out of 5 wings.
Reilly's Restaurant
340 Yonge Street, Toronto

No comments: