Thursday 13 August 2020

JOE's WINGS + BURGERS Toronto ON 2014 - LOST REVIEW

- JOE'S is NOW CLOSED - RIP -

 It's Thursday so that means it's time for another #TBT & #lostreview

I'm continuing my giant cache of 2014 reviews that I never posted. This week I'm looking at Joe's Wings + Burgers, which unfortunately closed sometime between 2014 and 2015. What makes it double sad is that they opened up sometime in 2014, so this venture didn't last long.




I think Joe's first came to my attention when visiting the St Clair Ice Cream Factory Outlet, which is on the corner. It was also getting passed around on social media sites, so I decided to check it out. Also, it's Wings and Burgers, how could I not check it out? Other than it was a bit of a subway ride for me to get out there, I must have combined in a day I was already out and about with a day pass, because that's how I rolled back then.


The place was kinda empty except for what seemed like family. The place was modern and clean, with wood tables and benches, and grey painted walls with white to punch it up a bit. It's not big inside, but there was a decent amount of seating. At each table was your traditional fry condiments, and in chicken wing joint fashion, a roll of paper towel. 

Despite menus at the tables, I had to go up to the counter to order. The staff were really friendly and I felt really welcome there. The menu is small; it's basic burgers and wings, but it's good to focus and keep it simple. There were only a few wing flavours to choose from: plain, mild, medium, hot, teriyaki, and garlic Parmesan. I went with hot.



The prices were really really reasonable, so I got a burger with bacon ($4.59 for the burger and $0.75 for the bacon), and a small order of wings ($5.19 for 6). 


This is a direct quote about the burger: "woah, was it ever good!" It was a medium sized patty that they clearly formed themselves, because it fell apart in the middle like no processed burger ever could!
 

I got it with all the toppings minus relish. It was really fresh, it was on a big bun. For $5, it was a real steal. Such a good burger. I couldn't believe it. Oh and the bacon on the burger was really good!



I could see them bring out the wings from the fridge and then put them in to deep fry. I just got an order of 6 wings, and overall I was underwhelmed by the wings. When I saw them come out they looked really light in colour. Like really white?


It not only came with carrots and celery and dip (as wing should!), but they gave a ton of veggies! I had a choice of ranch or blue cheese, so of course I got blue cheese. But there was barely any sauce in the container.



The wings weren't bad, just nothing special. They weren't that big, but they were crispy.


They were sauced nicely, and the sauce reminded me of the sauce from Pho Hung, which I really dig. It's spicy and succulent, but this was a slightly less flavourful version. It wasn't spicy hot either, but it was good. And they were saucy!


Overall I had a good meal. I would totally have gone back if they were closer. I don't know why they went out of business, but it was a total shame. Great burger, ok wings. Thumbs up.


Joe's Wings + Burgers
2825 Danforth Ave, Toronto ON (Now Closed)

No comments: