Thursday 30 April 2020

LOST REVIEW - SU-GOOD Chinese - Toronto ON


It's #throwbackthursday & another LOST REVIEW!!!

Picture it, January, 2015. My good friend, coworker, and fellow food lover Helen had been telling me about some awesome chicken wings that her family gets from their local Chinese take-out. Next thing I know, I have an invite to come over to dinner and come out and try the wings from Su-Good Chinese Restaurant.

photo from Google street view

So this was a time I was documenting my wing eating, but not actually blogging. Sadly, I had a number of wing adventures at this time with Helen I just didn't post. She and I are on the same wave length when it comes to food, so she and I had some good times and good meals. I saw had, only because I no longer live in Toronto and never get to see her.


I remember the night because it was the first time I think I was at her house. I remember the night, I remember having the food, but I don't remember the details and for some reason I didn't log them down. I know they had ordered some fried rice, beef and broccoli  (I think), a couple of noodle dishes, and three of the four types of chicken wings Su-Good offers.


Can I just take a second to appreciate the name "Su-Good?" It's a great play on the Chinese surname Su, and So as in 'So Good'. Love it. I don't know if the owner's name is Su, but it's still cute.


The place is a simple take-away on the Danforth with some dine-in capacity. It has typical Canadian-Chinese fare, but surprisingly there is some Caribbean/Guyanese influenced Chinese dishes on the specials menu as well!


The first batch of wings was their Spicy Fried Wings. Battered and fried along with onions and chilis. This is a dry-style wing with no sauce, and there are about 10 wings in an order.


These must have been Honey Garlic wings, but they don't look like it - in fact they look more like a Sweet & Sour or General Tao. Very very saucy!


The other order of wings were what I'm pretty sure is the Caribbean Chicken Wings. Also fried up with onions and chilis and clearly tossed in some Caribbean flavours.


Here's my plate from the evening. I don't remember the specifics of this meal, but I remember it was really good, and very filling!


That wing looks like it was probably a Small+ or Medium sized wing. Looks crispy, meaty, and tender. Looks like anyway.


I didn't take a wide variety of photos as I usually do, and a bunch turned out blurry, so I must have been embarrassed to take a bunch of food photos and hold up supper.


I'm drooling myself looking at these wings they look so good. I like that we had 3 different styles to taste and contrast - sweet, spicy, savoury!


This is Helen going to town on one of the wings! In the background is Baby Ari, who is very much not a little baby anymore.


Very cute little guy and very funny. I don't remember if he had any wings. I didn't seem to take a photo of his older brother Yossi, and I'm not sure if he had wings. They now have a younger brother Benni and an even younger sister Miri. I do not know their stances on chicken wing consumption either.


Finally Gadi taking down one of his chicken wings.  I really appreciated this visit and for Helen & Gadi to have me over and feed me, not just because of the chicken wings, but just in general. I miss us hanging out at work and after work, or you know, just in the same city. Thanks Helen & Gadi!!!

While I may not remember the details, this was very good eats. The wings, the noodles, everything. They recommended it to me and I recommend it to you. I'm not sure if much has changed in 5 years, but as far as I can tell, Su-Good is still so good.



Su-Good Chinese Restaurant
2626 Danforth Ave, Toronto ON
sugoodchineserestaurant.com

No comments: