Monday 15 March 2010

WK's Buffalo Chicken Burger

Lets branch away from wings this post. I probably talk about chicken wings a little too much.


Today we're making Buffalo Chicken Burgers.



Ok I'd prefer to call them Hot Wing Burgers. Why? Because I'm a name stickler. See I didn't deep fry the chicken, and even the sauce isn't true Buffalo either. And I used ground chicken. But the Internet and many that use it still search for 'Buffalo' no matter what. So I'm trying to work withing the boundaries of the search engine and public wing ignorance.

Now, onto the burgers! I wanted to use some ground chicken I had, but try and replicate the hot wing experience into a burger. Spicy sauce, crispy chicken, and pungent (there is no other way to describe it) blue cheese. MMmmm!







WK's BUFFALO/HOT WING CHICKEN BURGER

INGREDIENTS

  • ground chicken
  • bread crumbs
  • egg
  • garlic powder
  • cayenne powder
  • salt and pepper
  • flour

  • kaiser buns
  • onion, sliced
  • jalapeno, sliced
  • blue cheese
  • mayo

  • sriracha sauce
  • Louisiana hot sauce
  • butter/margarine
  • red wine vinegar


Instructions:

  1. Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Form into patties, dust in flour (if grilling, omit flour).
  2. Put on a pan and place patties into fridge/freezer to firm up (approx 20 minutes).
  3. Slowly caramelize onion and jalapeno in frying pan. Splash RW vinegar (just a bit).
  4. Melt butter/margarine, add sriracha, Louisiana sauce and a bit of red wine vinegar.
  5. Fry burgers in pan with butter/margarine. Cook thoroughly.
  6. When burgers are nearly done, brush with hot sauce.
  7. Cut bun, apply mayo, add onion/jalapenos, add burger, more hot sauce, crumbled blue cheese.
  8. Enjoy!






The ingredients for the patty. I have not listed measurements because, well I don't use them. Eyeball it. Also, I was going to add hot sauce to help with moisten the burger, but forgot to put it in. Didn't need it either.

The hot wing sauce mix. This made for a great hot sauce I was using for days later on lots of stuff.



I used a whole onion and a whole jalapeno, but that was only good for two burgers. This small package of blue cheese was more than enough.



The caramelized onions were more crispy/fried onions with jalapenos because I cooked them too high a temperature. But they were still good.




That was a really good hot wing sauce. I can't believe the camera cut out twice during filming of mixing the meat and the sauce.



The final product. A very tall order.

Bun, mayo, onion/jalapeno, chicken burger, hot wing sauce, blue cheese, more mayo, bun. So good. There was a lot of flavour levels going on. And the textures! Crispy crust on the burger but soft inside, tender and crispy onions/ jalapenos. This was a good burger.



FINAL THOUGHTS: Where to begin? Not much to improve on. You have to be very carefull with cooking the chicken all the way through, but this turned out great. Like I mentioned, the onions were more crispy than caramelized, but they did work out. The only think I might do differently really is try a different bun (just to try, the kaiser worked well) or to grill the burger on an open flame. Then they really aren't Buffalo style, but they would be tasty.

Remember,

WKTV
SAME WING TIME
SAME WING CHANNEL

3 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Looks delicious!

No blue cheese for me, though.

Chris said...

Wow. Yeah huh! You just KNOW I'm making these on the Egg. I've already bookmarked it for my TRY SOON queue.

Did you see the grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches I made Sunday night? Totally not hot enough for you but that could be adjusted. But this post made me kick my own ass because I did not include blue cheese (even after making a bacon and blue burger the night before!). Grrrr.

Lord of the Wings said...

Teena - I know, blue cheese isn't for everyone.

Chris - I gotta say, they would be great done on the egg. I did see your giant breast buffalo burger and it looked mighty tasty!