Homemade Sweet Sriracha (by John Kessler)
- About 25 ripe serranos or 12 ripe jalapeños, or a mixture of the two, coarsely chopped
- 4-6 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 heaping tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar, plus more as needed
"Combine the chiles, garlic, sugar and water in a non-reactive bowl. Cover with film and leave at room temperature at least two hours or overnight.Transfer contents of bowl to the base of blender and add remaining ingredients. Add more vinegar, as needed, to achieve a texture similar to that of ketchup. Add more salt to taste, if desired. Strain through a wire-mesh sieve into a bowl, pushing and scraping with a rubber spatula.Store in clean jars in the refrigerator. You may also can this sauce in sterilized jars according to canning procedure. Makes about 2 cups."
This has given me ideas. Next week maybe I too will attempt to make hot sauce again . . .?