Monday 6 November 2006

Mick E Fynn's

Hello loyal readers. I have to apologize because not only have I not updated the blog in a long time, but I have had 3 entries to enter for a long time now. However, due to events: Away Team Ghost Investigations, Rez of Terror, Library of Terror, Ghost Tours, Trickoreat.ca, as well as blowing up cars. These events have given me no time in which to upload pictures, and write reviews. It has also made for a difficult problem with this review: it has been weeks since I went here and I cannot find or remember for the life of me the choices, selection, price etc. I am disappointed as a review, a blogist, and a chicken wing enthusiast. I am sorry.



I will try and recount the story as best as possible. It was a dark and stormy night. Ok no it wasn't. It was a nice night if not a little cold. Several of the Dons were celebrating early October birthdays, and it was decided that we would go to a pub to celebrate. Enter, Mick E Fynn's (MEF). This old time Irish Pub located across the street from Maple Leaf Gardens seemed an unlikely choice for some of the Dons involved, simply because its not super close to rez and how many people actually know about it? I did, however, having only been on the patio in much warmer weather.

MEF's is most popular since the demise of hockey at MLG, as a hangout for Ryerson students. Who could have guessed how popular? Not I. We went in and went to the back room to make sure we had enough seats. It was dark, quite dark, and when asking the waitress if we could have more lights, she said something to the effect "its kinda the atmosphere we were going for". I remarked, "The dank! oh no we can't get rid of the dank". And we didn't. To skip the important part of our wing story, when we were leaving, there was a huge line up outside with bouncers. Bouncers! A line up! For a plain, simple pub! No dancing. There was pool. What the heck? What the heck I say!


None the less, our table filled up quickly, the Dons socialized, and a good time was had by all (some having a good time more than others :p) This was also an exciting day as our rez caught on fire. No one was hurt, but it was a fire that toasted a room, and myself, well I was exhausted from taking on a lot of responsibilities in relation to said fire. I needed a break, I was wing deprived, and I did what any good Fellowship of the Wing would do.



THE SCORE

SIZE of WINGS: medium
HEAT: 5/10
WET NAP FACTOR: 3.5/5
PRICE: $6.99 a pound (approx 8-10 wings)

EXTRAS Info

SAUCE CHOICE: mild/medium/hot/suicide/honey garlic
SIDES: veggies & dip or fries $2.50, onion rings for $3.50
WETNAP: yes!
DEEP FRIED, GRILLED,
BAKED, BATTERED
: deep fried classic style
WING NIGHT: ???

I can't remember a lot about the wings. Were they good? They weren't bad. But they were not great enough for me to recommend how much they cost, what sauces they have etc. They were plain pub wings with a decent sauce, a tiny bite and a hell of a lot or room to improve. They were saucy and crispy which gets them points. Anything else to add? Not really. They did meet my craving but my overall response is "meh".



It was a great night because of the company I was keeping. As for the atmosphere, a place like this should not be so cramped. Or have a line up. Or have bouncers. The crowds were certainly not breaking down the place for the wings, but it does have a large patio great in the summer time. I should also mention that amongst our crowd was 2 individuals from the pub Pogue Mahone, and one such young lady suggested I check out their wings. That sounds like a great idea.

Mick E Fynn's
45 Carlton Street Toronto



No comments: