Friday 10 March 2006

SHOELESS JOE'S ~ Toronto ON

~ This Location is now closed: RIP ~


SHOELESS JOE's

Where you find a sports bar, you generally find wings. Shoeless Joe's fit the bill this night. Found on the outskirts of both the Entertainment District and Chinatown, Shoeless Joes is full of sports memorabilia, tv's, billiard tables. What it was not filled with on this Wednesday night was people. It was dead; and of the 3 sections to be seated in, we got sat in the one with no one in it, in a tiny booth to boot.

Although this was my second time to SJ's (Super Bowl Sunday, by accident, was the last time), the staff we dealt with this time were friendly, yet strange. And I cannot emphasize how much I detest being told what to order. Although I realize that its logical for a waitress to assume two young guys in a sports bar would want a beer (I didn't) but don't tell me I should order an appetizer of bruschetta, let alone that I should get the all-you-can-eat ribs, because I can make my own decision. I want to be told the specials, I don't want to be told what to order. That being said, the wings were ordered, and they looked beautiful.

THE SCORE:

SIZE of WINGS: medium to large
HEAT: Hot was 6/10
WET NAP FACTOR: 4/5, wet wings, but not floating
PRICE: $8.68 Single Order (approx 6 Wings) $15.98 Double Order (approx 12 wings)

EXTRAS Info
SAUCE CHOICE: mild/medium/hot/blazing hot/honey garlic/southern BBQ
SIDES: comes with celery, carrots and dill/garlic dip
WETNAP: came with 2 and a pile'o'napkins
DEEP FRIED, GRILLED, BATTERED: choice of battered or not, but both deep fried
WING NIGHT: Tuesdays is 2-4-1 night, after 5pm



The wings were good here. I ordered a double order, so that I could try half breaded and half traditional. The next time I come back I don't know which I would order next time because I liked them both equally. The sauciness was just right, but the heat was lacking for hot. I didn't order the blazing hot because I had a feeling that hot would have a better flavour.


The wings were wet, which I love, and the taste had a hint of bbq in its overall flavour. The wings were pricier than I would like, so next time it will be Tuesday Wing Night for me. Shoeless Joe's menu over-all wasn't too impressive, and nothing aside from the ribs or the lattice fries really struck me as exciting. But I came for the wings and the wetnaps. The atmosphere on a Wednesday didn't do it for me, but the wings did.

Thumbs up on these wings,
(Just for you Ray D!)
Shoeless Joes Restaraunts
401 King St. W (and other locations in the GTA)
shoelessjoes.ca

1 comment:

Rickyhp said...

Who's Joe and does he really not have shoes?