Sunday 19 March 2006

RUBY TUESDAYS - Niagara Falls ON

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you...



On the Bonsai 6th Floor's 3rd Annual Niagara Falls Trip, I took the opportunity to try the wings at a largely American chain that has little representation in Canada: Ruby Tuesday. Named after the Rolling Stone song, this family eatery is located on Niagara Falls' Clifton Hill; a menagerie of neon lights, wax museums, haunted houses and more Canadian tourist crap than you can shake a stick at.

With the Falls, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and Louise Toussaud's Wax Museum behind us, Diane and I took our tired legs to the largely empty Ruby Tuesday's.



THE SCORE:

SIZE of WINGS: medium to large
HEAT: 4/10
WET NAP FACTOR: 4.5/5, wet like the falls and stains like a mf!
PRICE: $9.95 (10 Wings)

EXTRAS Info

SAUCE CHOICE: Mild or Hot
SIDES: comes with celery and blue cheese dip
WETNAP: NO WETNAPS despite the wetness and stain factor, but lots of napkins
DEEP FRIED, GRILLED, BATTERED: deep fried the ways I like's em
WING NIGHT: none advertised
OTHER: free refills on coke, but at #3.19 a coke, I better get refills!!!




I was a bit worried when I ordered the wing because there was only 2 sauce flavours, and there was only one size option. You might be asking, why is this a potential problem? Well, restaurants that don't do wings well often have this combination, as if wings are an after-thought. But Ruby's was able to deliver.


The sauce was traditional Frank's with butter (heavy on the butter), which was good, but despite the deceptive jalepeno pepper on top, was not hot. I was very happy with the wetness, but as stated abovel, I was not happy about no wetnap as this sauce stains the fingers a deep red.

One other big complaint was the price: this place was expensive. I don't know if its the chain, or just the fact that we were in the Tourist Trap capital of North America, but my meal was way too much.

A highlight was one of the side dishes; the cheese fries. The fries on their own were mighty tasty, but these were topped with cheese, bacon, sour cream, and a side of ranch dressing. Diane agreed these were the best part of the meal. Well, I still like the wings. The service was good and as Nee pointed out, our waitress picked up on our subtle hints for service.

I liked the wings at Ruby Tuesday's, but the next time I'm back at the Falls, I will probably check out another eatery on my wing adventures.

Still, I'm going to miss you

RUBY TUESDAYS
4943 Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls (and other locations)
rubytuesdays.com

1 comment:

Rickyhp said...

do they do anything special on tuesdays?