Thursday 2 July 2020

THE GLEN SCOTTISH RESTAURANT & PUB Stittsville ON 2013 - LOST REVIEW

It's time from another #tbt and #lostreview


I've gone through all my Lost Reviews from 2015 and I'm just going all over the place. Instead of going forward to 2016, I'm going back to 2013 where the start of most of my found reviews are waiting. 

It was 2013, I was living in Toronto, but I came to Ottawa to visit LJ. But my good friend Julianna (you may remember Julianna from such reviews as The Cheshire Cat PubLou Dawg's, and even way back in 2007 at Pogue Mahone's among others) had been living in the Ottawa area for a bit and I took the opportunity to have lunch together.  

NOTE: I don't have any notes about this visit so this is purely on my vague memory and the photos.




She recommended a place that had great wings. Just outside of Kanata is Stittsville, and in Stittsville is a pub called The Glen Scottish Restaurant & Pub. Originally this pub was in Kanata and moved to this new building, and according to Julianna, this was a huge improvement.



I'm not quite sure when this location opened, but in 2013 it was still new looking. But the inside still had a classic pub look. Modern yet classic. It was crazy busy inside, and seeing the food go by one plates, I could understand why.



The menu is full of traditional pub fare such as fish and chips, Sheppard's Pie, and Scotch Eggs. They even have haggis! Of course, I was there for the wings. The wings come by the pound, and back then 1 pound was $10. There were a bunch of flavours which was also impressive:


  • Honey Garlic/Hot 'n' Honey
  • Medium/Hot/Suicide
  • Rickard's Dark BBQ/Sweet BBQ
  • Sweet Thai
  • Cajun/Salt & Pepper
  • Buffalo Ranch

If you look up the menu today (Summer 2020), they are on a modified take-out menu for Covid where they just have Hot, BBQ, and Honey Garlic).


Julianna wen't with the fish and chips, and wow, is that a huge piece of fish.


Like that thing is massive! It also had a really crunchy batter like I have never seen before. It came with fries (fresh cut) and not really a salad but kind of a garnish?!  Unfortunately I don't remember if she like it or not, but I think she did. Julianna, if you are reading this, let me know!


Of course I got the wings and wow, what a presentation! First you've got a pyramid of wings that just looks awesome. Then you've got the redoubt fortification of carrot sticks near some foliage, protecting an inner container of blue cheese dip. The Glen does not mess around!


b

That dip looks mighty thick and creamy! The carrot sticks fresh and crunchy. The lettuce ... I don't know what to do with that.


In one pound The Glen serves up 8 wings. They were breaded and sauced really well. It seems like it was pretty equal drum-to-flat ratio.


The wings weren't long in terms of size, but they were a good size wing. They were also pretty meaty.
That breading that is on there was still crispy and held up to a good thick coating of sauce.


Each wing was coated in sauce and they came out wet, but there wasn't any extra on the plate. Now I only got one flavour, so I'm assuming it was Hot. But I'm curious what suicide, or the Rickard's Dark BBQ is like. I can't remember what these wings were like for sure, but they look so darn good in the photos!



I'd like to blame Covid, but I haven't seen a lot of good friends, like Julianna, in a long time. I miss our hang outs and hope we can get back to going out and having wings soon! I haven't been back to The Glen since this visit, but I'm pretty sure it's worth going back in the future.



The Glen - Scottish Restaurant & Pub
1681 Hazeldean Road, Stittsville ON
theglen.ca

No comments: