Thursday 16 July 2020

DUNDEES BAR & GRILL Montreal QC 2013 - LOST REVIEW

=DUNDEES is NOW CLOSED=

It's time for another #lostreview & #tbt



This week we are looking back to June 2013. I was in Montreal at a conference and I took full advantage of the food while I was there. I did reviews for Schwartz's Deli, Diablo's BBQ, La Cage Aux Sports, and Poutineville - boy did I eat well those few days!!! Funny enough, these blog posts were all proto-Lost Reviews because I never posted them until 2014!). But there was one more location that just didn't get posted for whatever reason, and that was Dundees. It should be noted that sometime in 2019 Dundees Bar & Grill closed and/or re-branded as Dirty Dogs ...


I started writing the post and will leave it as is and indicate where I stopped writing and will try to fill in the rest where I can. 


JUNE 2013

So I'm in Montreal at a conference, I've done some exploring, done some networking, and then it was time to do some hanging out with some colleagues from back home. 


We wandered the streets looking for a place that wasn't crazy busy and that we could all agree on. Dundee's seemed to fit the bill. The sign made it seem like it was some Australian themed restaurant that would be big on fun, but it was just standard American fare. And the menu read more like a French bistro, as did the inside and out. It just seemed like it was confused about it's identity.


Dave took the photo of the group: Kate, Scott, Jennifer, Karen and Val. Some were having dinner, some were snacking, all of us were enjoying sitting on the patio watching the Montreal night life. Oh I got wings, as you can tell.   

[THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED WRITING FROM HERE ON OUT IT's MY MEMORY]


I remember this evening, but I don't remember the wings that well, other than they were disappointing. They don't look to bad, but fortunately I did write out a SCORE for them:



Wow, 3/10 - brutal. I was not impressed at all.



I got an order of 8 wings. The waitress did not give a full list of sauces when I asked, she just offered BBQ or Thai, so I went with BBQ. What was frustrating is that the menu lists these as Buffalo Wings with "Original, BBQ or Thai sweet & spicy." These aren't Buffalo Wings, they are Chicken Wings and unless 'original' was Buffalo sauce that I couldn't get, these are not in any way Buffalo Wings.
It came with a garnish of Lettuce and shredded carrot, but no dip.



In the SCORE I wrote they were a medium wing with a medium meatiness. They look kind of small from here. The wings were not crispy at all. In fact they were baked I'm pretty sure, then coated in a thick bottled BBQ sauce. The wings were sticky and gooey but the skin was limp and soggy.


The BBQ flavour was ok but nothing special. It just tasted like commercial BBQ sauce.


FINAL SCORE

I was not impressed with these wings at all. In fact I  was not full or satisfied with them and may have gotten a late night snack after this. There just was no love here. Soggy goey wings that were clearly an after thought on the menu. Great times with the folks at the conference though!!!




DUNDEES Bar & Grill (NOW CLOSED)
2010 Crescent Street, Montreal QC
dundees-barandgrill.com (no longer works)
Dundees on Facebook (still works)

No comments: