Thursday 26 September 2019

O'NEILL's PUB - Long Sault ON - An Incomplete Review

This is part of my #lotwsummercatchup for 2019 & a Lost Review.

This is actually a pretty problematic review. First, it was kind of on the run (as you will read) and I didn't get a chance to take notes. Now that this was several months ago now, where I usually have a good memory for the wings I eat, I don't remember the flavour of these at all. So I'm still going to post the pics and the story, but unfortunately I don't have specific food review. Bah!



So LJ had work in Cornwall and I tagged along. I dropped her off and went about my business driving away with our vehicle. She didn't know how long she would be but I would be on my own for lunch. After running some errands, I was hungry and decided to get some wings. Now I've tried a number of places for wings in Cornwall over the years, and I have places I like, but I'm always up for something new. So I did some research and a new place came up with apparently good wings: O'Neill's Pub. Only O'Neill's isn't in Cornwall, it's in Long Sault, which is about a 15 minute drive down the road.


I pulled up and saw that it was at the end of a strip mall, complete with big patio. It was grey and rainy, so that patio was empty. I went inside and it was quite large and cavernous inside. It was not full of people, but it was pretty busy considering the size of the joint. The place doesn't have a strong decor identity. There's lots of sports stuff. some Irish pub elements, and just general eatery look.

My waitress was I think the only waitress working, and I think she was the bartender too. She was quite busy. She had a lot of regular customers she was interacting with, and she had a lot of ground to cover. She took my drink order, I asked for Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, but when she brought it, it tasted like generic pop and wasn't great.



I was really impressed that they have two wing nights, Tuesdays and Saturdays. Saturdays!!! $0.49 wings is not bad, but even the every day wing prices aren't bad either.


There were a bunch of wing flavours available, and I had to ask what the differences were. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I'm pretty sure she said Hot and Frank's was the same thing, Suicide was Frank's X-Tra Hot, and Buffalo was Frank's Buffalo.

I wish I had asked before hand about the Blue Cheese and Sour Cream at the end of the sauce lists: are they actual wing sauces, or are they dips? Or can they be both? Either way I think I ordered the Buffalo with a side of Suicide.


Then it happened. LJ texted me that she was finished early and ready to go. Oh no! So before my wings came I was able to flag down my waitress and ask her if I could get them to go. She said no problem, and was also able to bring me my bill. I paid, got my take-out wings, and then didn't get a chance to eat them until the next day. But I forgot to take notes so I don't remember how they were exactly.



What I can tell you is that they were breaded, they weren't long big, but they were pretty meaty. Because they were served up the next day, I don't know if they were saucy or crispy or mushy or tender.








FINAL SCORE:

???

This is what I can tell you - I liked the wings, I liked the price, and I will for sure go back and check them out again sometime in the future.

Sorry for the poor review!


O'Neill's Pub
Long Sault ON
facebook.com/ONeills-Pub-1410589429235292/



No comments: