Wednesday 6 July 2016

DOUBLE SRIRACHA WINGS


Two is better than one right?



Double Dare was a great game show...


Doublemint was a great gum...


And Double Dragon was an awesome video game.



So I headed into the LOTW Test Kitchen to come up with a new wing recipe with that in mind. I was in the mood for a spicy wing that had some flavour, but was different than your typical Buffalo wing. I looked in the fridge, and I saw Sriracha sauce. Then I looked into the spice cabinet . . . more sriracha. That is how Double Sriracha Wings were born.



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 lb of fresh wings
  • 2-3 teaspoons of sriracha powder
SAUCE
  • butter/margarine
  • 3 tsp of buffalo sauce powder
  • 2-3 dashes of vinegar
  • 3 healthy squirts of sriracha sauce
  • 2 tbsp of honey

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Deep fry wings.
  2. While wings are frying, melt butter in sauce pan on medium-low. Stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed.
  3. Drain wings, toss in sriracha seasoning, then toss in sauce mixture.
  4. Eat immediately; enjoy!



The last time I was in the USA back in December, I picked up a bottle of Sriracha seasoning. Do you know where? No not the grocery store, or even a kitchen store. Burlington Coat Factory. Go figure. Anyway, this is a great little spice seasoning for all sorts of dishes.


Also on my spice list, I had a bag of Buffalo Style Chicken & Wing Sauce Mix I had picked up at Bulk Barn. This seemed like a great time to try it.


I melted a bunch of margarine (I don't know how much, I just eye balled it), then tossed in the buffalo sauce mix. I added a bit of vinegar and stirred. The mix was great, but the sauce was really salty, so I added some honey to sweeten things up. Oh and I added a bunch of sriracha (Huy Fong rooster brand of course). This sauce is very smooth, buttery and just that nice warm heat that sriracha brings.


I was lazy and left my fresh wings from the butcher shop whole when I deep fried. After draining the oil, I hit them up with the dry sriracha seasoning. These wings came out crispy and golden and were looking good.

I should mention I double fry my wings; I put them in for about 8-10 minutes at 315 in the deep fryer, let them rest, then fry them again at 350 for about 5 minutes. I find this helps cook the inside, but the second frying makes for perfectly crispy skin afterwards.


Here is the wing just fried and spiced on its own. This was a good dry wing on its own with a salty sriracha-ish flavour. I ate part of it and thought this was good. But I was looking for great. I was looking for double sriracha.


The sauce, that's where these wings were at. The sauce.


Toss toss toss and we have magic. Ya that wing on the right looks good, but doesn't the more than double wings on the right seem 2x as good? Yes, yes they do.


These wings were right on. Crispy, saucy and a nice heat. It had that hint of Buffalo style sauce, but the added sriracha that has heat, but a warming heat not a sting or burn. There were layers of flavour and I was just pleased as punch.



Or just very hungry. And now I want to play Double Dragon. Ok I'm going to finish these Double Sriracha Wings and play some Double Dragon.


No comments: