Tuesday 5 June 2007

Olde Stone Brewing Company - Peterborough

It had been a week of filming hell for me what is now two weeks ago. Not only was PRAXFILM's in production of a new film, I had been on a few other film shoots that while great to be on, the entire week of catered meals, no sleep and standing for hours on end sapped me of life. Taking a few days off, I hopped on a train and went to see Bramanda and their new pup, Starbuck*.


We spent most of our time, walking the dog, playing with the dog, and sitting on the grass with the dog. It was so nice to get out of the city, get some fresh air, and just chill. I had some amazing meals prepared by my old friends, but we decided to get out for some patio sitting, and Brad knew exactly where to take us: The Olde Stone Brewing Company (OSBC).





Situated in the heart of downtown Peterborough, or P-Town, where there are actually a lot of nice places to eat, OSBC is paired with a sister-restaurant: Hot Belly Mama's Cajun restaurant. The patio had a very enclosed feel to it, but there was a lot of shade and although it was a beautiful and mild day, being in the sun meant you were going to cook.



Speaking of heat, one feature I liked about the place, was having hot sauce at each table. Our table had "Texas Dew Drops", which had a small bite, but too acidic a flavour. It wasn't bad but I knew I wasn't going to try it on my wings. The back of my hand maybe, but not my wings.



They had a wing special on that day, not price wise but flavour. Teriyaki wings. The waitress tried to sell me on them, but I wasn't intrigued one bit. Teriyaki chicken is good, but its not a flavour I'm interested in a wing. So I stuck to my guns and ordered hot with a side of suicide.



The NEW SCORE

STYLE: flour dusted, deep fried, then baked/pan fried
SAUCES: mild/medium/ hot/white hot suicide/sweet and sticky honey garlic
note- they listed the first three as heat levels of BBQ.
SIZE: medium 1.5 /2
HEAT: 5 /10
CRISPINESS: 2/3
WETNAP FACTOR: 3.5/5
PRICE: $6.99 for 1lb, $12.99 for 2lb
SIDES: 2 /7
WETNAP/NAPKINS: 8 /8
WING NIGHT: ??? I forgot to check, I know, I'm sorry.
TOTAL: 22/35



These were a tasty wing. The flour dusting gave it a nice crunch, it was juicy, a decent size and a great sauce. You just looked at the wing, and knew it was going to be good. It was clear that the wings were deep fried, then baked/pan fried as can be seen with the darkened flavour markings on the sides.



Unfortunately the hot was not, and while suicide had a nice bite, I really liked the flavour of the hot. I went back and forth, saying to myself, "I'm not going to have the suicide, just the hot. Well maybe a bit of suicide. Ok now just hot. Alright just a little bit more suicide". So either way, they were fairly tasty. The suicide was nice and thick and you could definitely smell it at least another plate away. I don't know why it was called 'white hot' - it didn't make me see the white light at the end of the tunnel.

A different touch to the side was the carrot sticks, which were julienned. This gave for a great presentation, but dipping was somewhat problematic. But I liked to see something different for once.


Bramanda also ordered. We actually just went for a drink, seeing that Amanda had made a big breakfast for us (bacon was so well done! Thanks for not being a vegan anymore) but we all got the munchies.

Amanda got pita with salsa on the side (I don't think this was on the menu, but a combining of sides). She could barely eat the salsa as it was 'too spicy' but the pita was done perfectly.

Brad went for the samosas, which we were smelling for the rest of the day. Didn't try it myself, but he seemed to like it. I can't explain the sunglasses, maybe Corey Heart can.


FINAL SCORE: OSBC was a nice pub with a unique patio. We had a great waitress and the food was good. I really enjoyed the wings, and I think I'm going to have to adjust the New Score, as some great wings are getting low scores - maybe this summer I will take a look at that. The wings may not have been the biggest or the hottest, but any wing lover would love these. 22/35



Olde Stone Brewing Company Pub & Restaurant
380 George Street North, Peterborough



*Note: Starbuck is named after the kick ass maverick pilot of both Battlestar Galactica series, not the Seattle based coffee company, you non-sci-fi nitwits.

No comments: