Saturday 24 June 2006

RECIPE: WK Butter Wings I PART 1


Having gone to St Lawrence Market and getting a great deal on wings (5 pounds of wings for $12) I decided I needed to test these puppies out. They were in a semi-vacuum sealed, slightly frozen pouch. I decided to seperately bag them into different bags to eat at different times, and cut the drumstick/wing/tips and kept enough for dinner on the sides.

I kept the tips (most people throw them out or use them in soup) but I like them done up just the same. I still remember in high school going out and my friends seeing the tip left on the wing and they freaked out, "its a claw!" They thought it was a mutant wing. I did put hot sauce in one bag of wings to marinate until I have it next.

I decided I would try and make this batch of wings into a spicy breaded king. I set out with my ingredients, my test kitchen and a camera to see what I could do.


WING KING's BUTTER WINGS version 1.0
INGREDIENTS:
  • chicken wings
  • oil
WASH:
  • 1 egg
  • milk
DUSTING
  • flour
  • cornmeal
  • kosher salt
  • garlic powder
  • fresh ground pepper

SAUCE

  • margerine or butter
  • Frank's Extra Hot Sauce



INSTRUCTIONS

  1. -seperate drumstick, wing and tip
  2. -place in milk egg wash
  3. -mix dusting ingredients in tall container
  4. -place 3-4 wings in container at a time, shake
  5. -turn wok to high heat, add oil - when oil hot, add wings
  6. -while chicken cooking, melt margerine & stir in equal parts hot sauce in seperate container
  7. -when wings are cooked, pat on paper towel, toss with hotsauce mixture
  8. -enjoy



wings in egg/milk wash


cooking area - wings in egg/milk wash, wing in dusting container, wok with oil getting really hot



dusted wings frying in oil


melt margerine with this hot sauce bad boy


toss sauce and wings together - enjoy!

I was nervous about how these would turn out. I haven't cooked wings in a long time, I didn't know what the wings would be like, and I didn't know if the batter would just turn out into a mess. Without a deep fryer, cooking wings with a dusting can be messy and problematic. This time, however, things went very well.

First, these wings were big and meaty, so they on their own I figured would be good. Second, I decided to up the cornmeal content of the dusting over the flour. Finally, I decided to go with a Buffalo style sauce that I was sure would be good.

The first thing I noticed when I tore into these big boys was the reminder of the Jack Astor butter wings. Similar crunch coating, similar butter soaking. The sauce didn't turn out to be the thick kind that I expected or was looking for, but it was good none the less. The wings were crunchy, and juicy. Next time I would add another sauce with more kick. The Frank's Extra Hot did have a bit to it; my lower lip was slightly numb - but not enough to make me sweat or bleed.
This is why I called these wings Butter Wings version 1.o, because I will make variations on this wing until I find one that I consider perfect.

So these wings were thumbs up, but there is definetely room for improvement.

See the LOTW photo album for more pics of the wing prep HERE, HERE, and the veggie medley I made along with it and its recipe HERE.

1 comment:

Manic Pandemic said...

snack! good job jeff