Tuesday 15 September 2020

POPEYE's CHICKEN SANDWICH: Now in CANADA!

 

Popeye's Chicken Sandwich.

The sandwich that drove the US bonkers. SO MUCH HYPE. It was crazy. For us here in Canada, we could only wonder what was so great about this sandwich. Popeye's in Canada has had a variety of chicken sandwiches already. So what made this one so special? And why did it take so long to get here? Well one reason was that they were trying to find all-Canadian sources for the products; great for patriotism, but also necessary due to US inflicted trade-wars and now supply issues from the US due to COVID.


I had forgotten about the sandwich for so long until my social media started blipping about Monday's release date. Even on Monday morning I wasn't planning on trying it on release day, but after going on a grocery run I passed a Popeye's, and there was no line-up. So I decided to check it out.


Advertising for the sandwich was all over the place, so clearly they were pushing the product. I was a little surprised by the price; $5.99 for just the sandwich. More (I'm not sure how much more) for a combo. I just wanted the sandwich. 


This location looks like they've been pretty on top of things for COVID protocols. Plexi-glass shields for the workers, with tables pushed in front to further distancing. Seating and washrooms are forbidden. They might only be doing wireless payments as I don't know how you would physically give them money. And of course sanitizer. Now the place was full of teens who were not COVID smart. Oh the group I saw had masks, except when they pulled them down to talk to each other, or when they bare-fist bumped each other. No wonder infection numbers are going up!

I had checked the website before coming and noticed that the new chicken sandwich was the only sandwich on the menu. In restaurant confirmed they were gone, as they stated 
"To our valued guests on September 14th we will no longer be selling the Cajun, Deluxe, Creole, shrimp, or fish sandwich.

On September 14th, 2020 we will be serving a brand new sandwich

Thanks, Management" 

  

I mean, that's good that they don't have to lose time making all the old sandwiches and just focus on the new. But if you were craving a shrimp or fish sandwich ... ouch.


While I was there though, everyone was ordering the new sandwich. It wasn't crazy line-up busy, but it was busy and there were a ton of UberEats and other delivery orders for the sandwich coming in. One guy did order regular chicken and he was in and out in no time.

I got my order, number 78, and they were still calling 69, 70 when I got in. They also told me it could be at least 10 minutes before my order was ready. While I waited around avoiding others waiting around, I noticed my receipt: they didn't have a code yet in the till for the sandwich price so they were just charging a large Cajun fry!

I waited and waited, and then things got fishy. They called out "Number 80, 2 chicken sandwiche". Wait, why did they get theirs first? Then in rapid succession "Number 79 Chicken sandwich" "Number 81 Chicken Sandwich" "Number 82 chicken sandwich". What the hell? And I couldn't get up to the counter because of social distancing. Finally I stopped a dude putting together a delivery order and there was my sandwich waiting to go, my number not being called. They were busy and it was an accident so I wasn't going to make a stink, but that sucked.


I just got the sandwich, which came in a little paper-foil heat bag. Cute.


The bag made the sandwich look small in there, but it was actually a hefty size.


It was hard to get out because the bun was extra buttery and slippery. The sandwich was inside a paper holder in the foil lined bag, but I was afraid it was soaked from the butter. It looked and smelled good and I didn't want to waste too much time with photos.




So you have your soft, buttery, brioche bun. It was good. Lightly toasted, soft, buttery. Good bun.
Then the chicken itself. "A tender all-white meat chicken breast fillet, marinated in an authentic blend of Louisiana seasonings, hand breaded in our all new buttermilk coating." For me I found that it was a substantially thick chicken fillet, thicker than most other fast food chicken sandwiches (with the exception of the Big Mary). It was super moist and juicy chicken. The breading was light and crispy when I bit off just a solo piece of the chicken, but that crispiness was too delicate in a sandwich bite. I didn't really taste any seasonings. It was plain chicken, but a juicy, flavorful chicken.

Below the chicken itself were the "crisp, barrel-aged pickles" that I could not really identify what kind of pickle flavour it was. It was light and very watery. Not sour like dill, not sweet light a bread-and-butter pickle. Just watery. It was needed for this sandwich equation to work with its crunch and slight tang, but I wasn't impressed with the flavour of this pickle overall. Finally one has the choice of Regular or Spicy which refers to the mayo they use; Plain or Spicy Mayo. I obviously went with Spicy, which tasted good on the sandwich but was far from heat spicy. They were also very skimpy on the mayo but I feel like that will depend on location and who is making it.


So was it worth all the hype? Is it life changing? Is it worth standing in line for or even getting shot? No. 

But it is a really tasty sandwich. It's good. It was made fresh, the bun was perfect, the chicken was thick and moist. But I didn't think it was amazing. I'd like a more highly seasoned/spiced chicken, better pickles, and a spicy mayo that is actually spicy. It's for sure worth trying, but don't waste your time waiting in a long line.


Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
1475 Richmond Road, Ottawa ON

No comments: