Thursday 12 March 2020

FITZ's CLASSIC GRILL BBQ SMOKEHOUSE - Ottawa ON

This review is from January. Better late than never right?

When I first moved to Ottawa back in the late 2000's, I came across a place that made amazing chicken wings. Loved them. The place was called PJ Quigleys, and not only did I have good wings there, I not only participated in a wing eating contest, but the next year got to judge it too. It was pretty good but after I moved to Ottawa, I think the owners retired and it closed. Sad, I know. But many years later, the joint is now Fitz's Classic Grill BBQ Smokehouse. That sounded like somewhere I wanted to try.


So I've been vaguely been aware of Fitz's only because at one point I was curious about what had replaced PJ's. But aside from me actively looking, I have never heard or seen posted any comments about Fitz's. It just seemed off the radar, and while I knew they had wings, and I love BBQ, it just never seemed like a priority to get to. Then for some reason, I looked them up and decided to call and see if they had a wing night.


I spoke to a lady on the phone and she proudly listed off the specials for wings (as well as the other nights). I didn't fully hear what she said, but what I knew was that Monday was wing night, but Monday-Thursday they had Happy Hour specials with wings. Good enough for me!


I went on a Monday night hoping to take advantage of the wing special, but then I noticed online earlier in the day that their wing special didn't start till 8pm, and I wasn't going to be available for that time, so I ended up going for Happy Hour between 4-6pm. The place looked pretty much as I remembered it as PJ Quigley's, but with more Southern/Country decorations. The place was pretty busy, but with what seemed like mostly solo diners. Lots of seniors, a family or two, a couple or two. Actually it was pretty busy for a Monday night.

 My server was Josh, and he was very busy acting as host, server, bartender, bus boy etc. He was on his own and quite busy. He did seat me, but at an awkward small table right near the door; it was awkward because I was either going to be sitting facing an older gentleman by the windows and every patron walking in the door, or have my back to them but immediately face a dude sitting at the bar - or more clearly, his legs. I chose the window view. There were a lot of empty booths and tables on the other side and I was kind of frustrated that I couldn't sit there, but later discovered it was closed off for an event later that night.



I had noticed the board outside the restaurant advertised the Happy Hour 1/2 price apps and to "ask server for details" so I asked Josh when I got a chance (because he was super busy doing everything). So Josh points out the 4 appetizers that are 1/2 price - wings not being one of the four he pointed to. I ask about the wings and he says "oh ya wings are 30% off". Still better than nothing but 1/2 off is better.


I figured the wings must be pretty big or a generous serving or something because they are $14 normally. Josh then asked me what sauce I wanted. There's only 4 sauces, and while I had read a few good things about their Jerk chicken, I went with Hot.


Josh took my order and maybe 15 minutes later I had my meal.


Right off the bat I was slightly disappointing in my wings - they just looked small for what normally would have been $14. There were about 8 or 9 wings in the order, split pretty evenly drums and flats.


There was a lot of thin carrot sticks though and dip which was nice. And I had a choice of dip: blue cheese, ranch, and sour cream *shudders*. I went with the blue cheese and it was really good. Creamy, chunky, tangy. I also had a bone plate, napkins, and a wetnap for cleanup.


As I said, I was not impressed with the size of the wings. They were mostly medium, maybe on the smaller side of medium. They weren't especially meaty either.


The wings are deep fried and were nicely crispy to start, but were soggy by the end of the dinner. The meat was ok tender, the bones pulled away ok but I suspect these come from frozen.



The wings smelled amazing though. They were tossed in enough sauce to be wet, but not generous amounts. The sauce was just good old cayenne hot sauce. These were just a good bar wing. Not hot, but good.


FINAL SCORE:

For a place that's a "Classic Grill BBQ Smokehouse" - I didn't see or smell any smoke. I also didn't try and BBQ food either. The wings were good in a classic bar food sense, but on regular price these would be a total rip off. Nothing special about these wings - they aren't breaded, there's no special sauce. They're good, but not $14 good. I appreciate they still came with veggies and dip for Happy Hour though. 8/15


Fitz's Classic Grill BBQ Smokehouse
250 Greenbank Road, Ottawa ON
fitzscatering.ca



No comments: