Friday 21 January 2011

Toronto Star Reports on the Wing Wars



Yes the Wing Wars are heating up here in Ontario. Indianguy sent me this article last week (thanks Indianguy) from the Toronto Star. Their article, "Wing War: Chicken-Wing Chain Sues U.S. Counterpart."

Let me break it down for you:


  • Rick Smiciklas is the founder & owner of the Canadian company Wild Wings which opened in 1999.
  • In 2003 he trademarked the name 'Wild Wing' in Canada.
  • The American company Buffalo Wild Wings (founded in 1981) recently started construction of its first restaurant in Canada in 2011.
  • Smiciklas prepares to sue Buffalo Wild Wings for copy write infringement due to his trademarking of the name 'Wild Wing'.

There are a lot of issues being brought up in the early stages of the war. There is concern about an American chain wiping out the Canadian chain and some want to argue to protectionism. My thoughts? I've eaten at Wild Wing and I've eaten at Buffalo Wild Wing, and I'll be honest, BWW was not very good. Some are worried that people will get confused as to which restaurant is which with just one word difference. I'd like to give Ontarians more credit to not only see a difference in a word, the icon, the fonts but also that Wild Wing has a Western theme, while BWW has an industrial sports bar feel. 

My question is, what about Wild Wings on the Danforth in Toronto which had the name in Ontario years and years ago?


3 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

I thought of you when I read this last week.

Lord of the Wings said...

@Teena - thanks for thinking of me!

Unknown said...

More people know that blog are good for every one where we get lots of information on any topics like this.

Adventure Hotel