Thursday 7 February 2008

RECIPE: Football-Free Superbowl Buffalo Fingers & Taquitos v1.0

SUPER-BOWL!!!!!

Ok, I'll be honest, I don't care for the super bowl. In fact, I don't care about football. Ok, if we are dropping all the walls here, I don't care to watch sports. At all. Never have. I do enjoy the occassional martial arts fight, or American Gladiators, but football just doesn't speak to me. What is exciting to me about the event is that it is religious for people to consume copius amounts of chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday. In fact, more wings are eaten this night than any other each year.

I was home alone, without car or cash and there were no wings in the freezer. No friends to have wings with, I was forced to improvise but I got 2, count them, 2 recipes out of it:



Football-Free Superbowl Buffalo Fingers

INGREDIENTS:
  • boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
  • bread crumbs
  • parmesean cheese
  • flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
  • Butter

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Toss chicken strips in flour
  2. Dip floured chicken into eggs
  3. Place egg dunked stips in bag filled with breadcrunbs & parmesean cheese
  4. Cook breaded strips in frying pan with melted butter until strips are golden and chicken is no longer pink inside
  5. Place cooked wings on paper towel to drain grease
  6. Toss wings in hot sauce and serve



Here is the breading assembly line: flour'd chicken, eggs, breading
The flour gives the egg mixture something to stick to.


The chicken a cookin.
It tasted good even before the Buffalo sauce.





Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce.
Its like their regular sauce with butter added.



The finished product, so tasty.

Taquitos v1.0

INGREDIENTS:
  • corn nibblets
  • chopped onion
  • BBQ chili beans
  • chipotle chili, diced/mashed
  • cumin
  • Mexican spices
  • garlic powder
  • salt & pepper
  • chili flakes
  • lemon juice
  • shredded cheese
  • tortillas
  • oil
  • sour cream & salsa
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. cook corn & onions with S&P in frying pan until 'roasted' marks appear
  2. add can of beans (drain well)
  3. dice and mash 2-3 chipoltle chilis, add to pan
  4. add rest of seasonings - quantities to your liking
  5. heat oil in another pan (med heat)
  6. quickly swish tortillas through oil (1-3 seconds) to coat. BE CAREFUL
  7. spoon filling onto half of tortilla, spread shredded cheese over
  8. fold in ends and wrap tortillas tightly; place on baking sheet
  9. put in pre-heated oven (350 degrees) and bake for approx 20 minutes
  10. serve with sour cream and salsa

The ingredients.
I didn't end up using the taco seasoning as I had Mexican spices.



Toasting the corn.


I bought this last summer, and after moving, never used it.


A chipoltle chili in all its saucy glory.
I had never had one in its 'natural' form.
So spicy and yet so flavourful.


Dashed and mashed.


The medley mixture: corn, beans, onion, spices etc all.
Note: this would be good on its own as a chip dip served cold!







BACKGROUND: medley mixture cooking
MIDGROUND: oil in frying pan; swishing the tortilla in the
oil for a few seconds allows the tortilla to be
maluable but hold its form in the baking process.
FOREGROUND: a dipped tortilla with medley and cheese ready to be folded


Baking for 20 mins


The final product. Taquitorific!





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


What a meal! Tender, Buffalo rich fingers and spicy,
party-in-my-mouth taquitos!




I used 2 chicken breasts and had like a ton of strips. I had planned to save some for another meal, but I just went to town on these babies!


Every morsel, oh so good!



I was so happy the way the meal turned out. The only way I could improve the Buffalo fingers is by upping the heat factor. They weren't hot, but they tasted good. As for the Taquitos, there are so many different ways to modify this dish . . . but I was happy just the way it was.


So I didn't watch any of the super bowl. I still don't know who won. I watched some Family Guy, then retired to my basement lair to enjoy Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. "If I were human, my response would be, 'go to hell', if I were human." Take that sports!



FIRE!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This meal looks really good, Fee! Even I would eat it! The chicken strips look awesome... my mouth is watering. I wonder if I can get Rayzor to make this for me?
BTW, thanks for the shout-out!