Friday 28 September 2007

OA 2007: The Foolish Chicken

One of the first days I was out exploring the city was LJ's neck of the woods in the West end. I had seen several locations advertising wings, but when I came across a place called The Foolish Chicken, I figured, they have to know chicken.


I stopped in this former home now transformed into a little eatery. It was late in the afternoon and the place was empty, save for what looked like a husband and wife owner-duo and their two kids just arrived home from school. The wife took my order, but it was the husband who delivered it.




The NEW SCORE

STYLE: deep fried
SAUCES: mild/medium/hot/honey garlic/bbq
SIZE: medium 0.5 /2
HEAT: 3/10
CRISPINESS: 3/3
WETNAP FACTOR: 2/5
PRICE: $8.99 for 1lb (approx 8-10 wings), $15.99 for 2lbs
SIDES: 2/7 fries were extra
WETNAP/NAPKINS: 8/8
WING NIGHT: no wing night but there is a daily happy hour -
Mon-Thur from 4-6pm, 1lb is $5.99, & 2lb is $10.99
OTHER/SPECIAL: more happy hour specials
TOTAL: 18.5/35



I was really disappointed with the score when it came out. Its low, and that's not quite right because these were decent wings. The chicken was cooked to perfection - crispy, crunchy and juicy inside. The sauce is a big problem though. Not only was there no heat, there was very little sauce. And it was pretty weak in flavour. I didn't hate these wings, I was just sad at the output. Clearly, rotisserie chicken is their focus.


I also ordered a side of fries. I do not know how to describe these wedge-like fries, only that they were crispy, but very blah. Liberal amounts of vinegar, ketchup and salt were a must.




Final Score: The owners were very friendly. At one point, I had asked where to buy transit day passes. He wasn't too sure and asked were I was from. I told him I was from a small town near London. "Tillsonburg?" he asked me, shocked at such a bull's eye guess, I told him yes and he told me he grew up in London as a kid before coming to London. Wow, small world. Mediocre wings. This was another place where I really wanted the wings to be amazing. I also felt bad about the lack of customers. The food is decent, and the place is cozy. So check it out, but maybe the wings aren't the way to go. 18.5/35





The Foolish Chicken
79 Holland Avenue, Ottawa
foolishchicken.ca


No comments: