Wednesday 31 July 2013

Return to EIN~STEIN's ~ Toronto ON

MAY 2013


It had been a while since Ryan and I had hung out, so we decided to grab a bite to eat. We ended up at Ein-Stein's. I've reviewed them before, but it was time for an update.
from Google Street View
 Nothing has changed in the many years I've been coming since I was in University. It was a beautiful day outside, so Ryan and I decided to sit on the patio. Service is never quick, and there were long periods between getting our drinks, taking our orders, getting food, paying etc., but this is just how it is here.


Ryan is to Nachos as I am to wings. I've often said he should do his own Nacho blog, but he is a very busy man, running iamsick.ca, doing research and finishing his thesis, working and just living life. So of course he got nachos.


Ein-Stein's nachos ($7.99) were a big platter, but it was hard not to noticed the burnt chips. You can see a lot of cheese and buried below is black olives, green onion (I believe it also came with jalapenos but I think Ryan had them omit them). With salsa and sour cream on the side.


I went with wings of course, but I added a side of onion rings too. I also got a pop, and I'm pretty sure its generic cola here, not Coke or Pepsi.


The onion rings were $4.99 and it was a generous order. Thin cut, very crisp - they were very good rings.


On the side of the wings were celery and blue cheese dip. Very thick and creamy and homemade. The celery was a little limp and sad, but I'm not here for veggies.



Ein-Stein's is famous for their wings. Regularly on food board or review sights, if Ein-Stein's isn't tops or listed, people get mad. They've won awards, and have a whole page on their website dedicated to their wing success. But are they still up to snuff?

Wings start of in orders of 5, 10, 20 or 40. They come with celery and blue cheese.


The wings are advertised as jumbo, and they are jumbo. Deep fried and sauced, they are monster wings without any breading or dusting. Now I won't lie, I have found in the past that these wings can be tough and hard to eat, and this day was no different. Jumbo wings can be hard to cook because the outside crisps up, but the inside may need more time. They got cold quickly too sitting out on the patio, but there's nothing the pub can do about that.


Normally I go for Hot or BBQ, but I have always heard about a secret sauce not on their menu. Something called 'Hammer' Sauce. I asked our server about it, and she said that it did indeed exist, and that it was a mix of BBQ and Honey Garlic. I wanted something a little different, and even though I have an anti-Honey Garlic policy, I went for the Hammer.

Well what can I say - it hit the head on the nail (get it, cuz it's hammer sauce - I'm so punny - wait, was that a pun?). Good sauce. The BBQ and the HG really worked together, giving a little smokey flavour, a little sweet, with a hint of garlic.


FINAL SCORE: It's been 6 years since I was here last, but it was well worth the wait. Jumbo wings, crispy skin, and sauces that actually are about something. Only problem is the wings were tough and lost points for that. Onion rings were also good. Nachos, well they burnt the nacho edges. Slow service, but this is ever bit as good as I remember it. And it was great place for Ryan and I to catch up. Good times. 7.5/10
Ein-Stein's Bier Halle
229 College Street, Toronto ON
ein-stein.ca

No comments: