Thursday 21 November 2019

MAIN ST. PUB - Stittsville ON

#lotwsummercatchup continues ...

Years ago a friend mentioned to me we should go check out this pub in Stittsville that has good wings, The Main St. Pub. I was like, sounds good, and for some reason we didn't go there. Then years went by, and this summer I was in Stittsville around lunch time and figured I'd finally check it out.



Located in a strip mall with like a pot store and a pizza place, Main St. Pub is nestled in the middle. It doesn't look like a pub, or at least that it was supposed to be a pub. I don't know how old it is, the signs are kind of fading and it seems pretty clear you are going into a dive bar.


And you are. It's dark (despite the high vaulted window at the front), the place feels like it hasn't been updated in ages. As I went in, the place was empty, except for one guy setting up the pool table. I thought he was staff as it was just him and I in the place, but it turned out he was just a customer playing pool by himself the whole time. There were a lot of long, group tables spread about, but I took a smaller table in the back corner (which turned out to be next to the ladies loo, but there were like no ladies, so no worries).

Eventually more people came, mostly older men, what seemed to be regulars, the old day time drinkers who are there everyday. The waitress had come out - she was the only one working out front so she was waitress, bartender, and I guess hostess. She wasn't very warm, but she wasn't rude or anything either.


She took my drink order, I asked for a Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, and she said "ok," not confirming which brand it was. I looked over the menu and found wings right at the top. A little pricey for a pub appetizer in a dive bar, but just about everything on the menu is about $15. I was there on a Tuesday and I had read on the net that it was wing night, but nothing on the menu corroborated this, until I saw the waitress writing it on the chalk board ($9.45 and it's Sunday-Wed, wow!). She came back with my drink and took my order.

My drink tasted a little off. It was a bit warm (despite enough floating ice cubes). It had almost a creamy froth, but not much syrup. It didn't taste like Coke or Pepsi, and later on the bill I saw that it said "Diet Cola". I didn't complain, but now I know it was shite generic cola brand.


I didn't have to wait long, and my wings arrived.

Before the food arrived, my waitress brought out a bone bowl, extra napkins, and wetnaps, so that was appreciated. The wings come in one size order of about 9-10 wings, so that's what I got, and you get an even split of flats and drums.


The wings come with carrot and sour cream, but any self respecting wing connoisseur poo-poo's such a dip. So I asked if I could switch it out, and I went with blue cheese. The blue cheese looked like it was full of blue cheese chunks, and it had some, but not a lot. It also tasted ... wrong. Not bad, just not like blue cheese dip. I tried it again, and I'm pretty sure it's just ranch with chunks of blue cheese thrown in.


The wings that came out surprised me because they were pretty big. I mean round, meaty wings. They are also dusted in flour and fried, but they are still a hefty wing. They weren't very tender, but they weren't that tough either. Pulling apart the bones was not easy, but not super hard.




The wings were probably crispy when they were first sauced, and they were sauced well, but by the time I had my wings they had lost that crispness. But there was a decent amount of sauce for extra dipping.



For my wings I went with their Hot, with a side of Suicide. The hot was just typical cayenne based hot sauce. Probably just Frank's sauced and tossed.


The Suicide on the side, served in a closed plastic cup, was 3rd Degree I'm pretty sure. Good, but nothing special here again. Hot was ok, but this was good to bump things up.



FINAL SCORE:

The wings were ok. Carrot and blue cheese dip was ok. The service was ok. The atmosphere was ok. The cola sucked. I was happy that the wings were large at least, but they weren't as crispy as they should be, nor tender, nor as flavourful as they should be. I mean I'd eat them again on wing night because they are pricey, but this is not somewhere I need to rush back for wings anytime soon. 8.5/15


Main St. Pub
1408 Stittsville Main Street, Stittsville ON
facebook.com/Main-Street-Pub-159397160758641/



No comments: