Wednesday 2 October 2019

Mini-Post: Disappointed at Yakiniku One



I'm not doing a full review, just some quick impressions. The food wasn't bad, but we just didn't enjoy anything.

To get a rough idea, the way this place works is at your table is a grill where you cook your meets. You have a bunch of side dishes (labled as appetizers), you order your meats, and you grill. You also have some other noodle and rice dishes to pick from as well.

This place is labled as a Japanese Grill, but the food had very little Japanese influence as far as I could tell - more Korean than anything. Unlike my experience at other Korean BBQ places, the meats here were not marinated, or if they were, it was barely noticeable. For example, the chicken wings were just straight up plain raw chicken. You grill it, but to be honest plain grilled chicken isn't tasty. You need sauce, or seasoning, or something. This was the case for most of the food.

Two things did stand out for me when we were here: 1) I like that you can choose the accompanying dished. I can get my pickled radish but not have to get plain tofu. 2) The grill actually sits up higher than other grill places, so your food does not risk running down into the gross water trough.

Again, the food wasn't bad, just not flavourful. It was AYCE, but we both left hungry because we didn't want more of anything.

Oh well.

No comments: