Thursday 11 June 2020

PEKING EXPRESS 2015 Toronto - LOST REVIEW

It's time for another #tbt & #lostreview:



For this review, I took no notes. Just photos. I vaguely remember this order, but I can't really give the proper review or details I would like.

photo from Google Streetview

In 2015 I was living in Regent Park and exploring a lot more of the east end of the downtown a lot more. I also had a metro pass and going up and down Parliament street I kept seeing a Chinese take-away called Peking Express.


I've never been inside the For whatever reason and whatever night this was, I got delivery. That was slightly unusual for me as I prefer to do pick-up, but my order came in a paper bag with the menu stapled on. Peking Express has been running in Toronto since the 1980's so they must be doing something right.



Peking Express has several different chicken wing flavours on the menu, so I did some sampling. I went with 3 different flavours, and an eggroll. I did not take a photo of the egg roll. All three wing orders came in classic Canadian-Chinese red and white boxes with some food paper inside. I also ordered and got a bunch of extra Wing's Hot Sauce, which I love.


The wings were a pretty good size - not super long, but they do seem to be meaty. The wingettes mostly have the wing tips still included, which is great. All the wings were fried, and look like they had crispy skin.


I went with three different kinds of wings, which are all different prices. According to the bill, I got:

  • BRDWG (6) 
  • B2WG (8)
  • DRYHOT WG

My interpretation of what they wrote is Breaded Wings, BBQ Wings (they are the second wing on the menu and they came in orders of 8 back then), and Dry Hot wings. 


These are the Dry Hot wings, which are coated in a spicy rub/seasoning. I really wish I had notes to tell something about these wings. Were they hot? Tasty? Salty? No idea.



Above are the Breaded Wings. They aren't really breaded, more battered like the traditional deep fried Chinese style chicken wings.




These I'm pretty sure are the BBQ Wings. There's nothing BBQ about them, they are just plain fried chicken wings. Also there are about 8 wings in there so that seems to line-up with the receipt.


2 of the 3 wings were sauceless wings. They can be deliciously crispy and salty to eat on their own, but I love them tossed in the hot sauce that is common with many Canadian-Chinese take-outs. Wing's Hot Chili Sauce is so good. Kind of like a less garlicky sriracha type hot sauce.


So I don't remember much about these wings, but I'm pretty sure things were decent to good. I had a lot of wings, how bad could it have been!??!?!



Peking Express
217 Parliament Street, Toronto ON
pekingexpress.ca

No comments: