Friday 19 June 2020

Black Lives Matter & Juneteenth



This was my post on June 2nd, also known as #blackoutday - I'm late posting it here now because 1) I thought I already did 2) this message is important not just one day of the year. Today is also Juneteenth (June 19th 2020) which I will get into in a bit.

I had a bit of a struggle on what to post exactly. I mean, not the anti-racism part, or that #blacklivesmatter, or even understanding my privilege as someone who is white. What I struggle with is not making this about me, while also speaking up, without speaking for others or taking up space. Even the black square was controversial for many folks.

The first week of June was one I wasn't going to be on social media much to start with, and me being quiet but supportive was important. My heart is usually in the right place, but I don't always know the best way to be a good ally to BIPOC folks. The best way I knew how at the time was to post local businesses here in Ottawa to support. Those links are here in case they didn't work from Instagram:

Afrobiz.ca for Ottawa - highlighting Black Owned Businesses
https://t.co/DUz5D48zsS

A Reddit Post specifically highlighting for Black Owned Businesses in Ottawa
https://t.co/d0YSojbUsa

Apt613 Post on Black Owned Businesses in Ottawa during Covid 19
https://t.co/nSfhVOG7Gl 

 
While there are a lot of people out there that are becoming 'woke' to the injustices and inequality non-white folks face on an everyday basis, there are still a lot that just don't get it. I don't get what they don't get. Some people seem to think that focusing on one people's suffering seems to take away from them. Seems to take priority away from them. That someone is getting focus, or attention, or support that either they don't deserve, or that they don't get that focus so why should one group get it? The reason is racism, and privilege, and ignorance. If people actually gave more of a shit about others than themselves, they might start to understand.


JUNETEENTH

Before this year I don't think I had ever heard of Juneteenth before. And when I did hear about it I confused it with some sort of Trump event without doing any proper research. But I finally spent 10 minutes to learn about it today and it's very clear now why it's such an important event specifically for black people in the US.

My quick recap: It marks June 19th 1865 and the end of slavery in the Confederacy when Union General Granger proclaimed all slaves in Texas (the last Confederate State still enforcing slavery) were free (two years after the Civil War had ended. A lot of people confuse this with the end of slavery in America, but as I learned in my US History class in university, the Civil War only ended slavery in the Confederate States of America, no the United States as a whole.

Food has always been important at these events, and I wanted to highlight this article from Food52.com entitled "68 Recipes From Black Creators to Celebrate Juneteenth" and specifically to point out the Jamaican Jerk Wings and the Grilled Lemon Pepper Wings - both sound amazing!!!


Grilled Lemon Pepper Wings from the Kitchenista


I'd love to specifically highlight more black, BIPOC, or indigenous owned businesses or chef's that are making great food (wings in particular). If you know any that need a big shout out, let me know on Twitter @lordofthewings, e-mail lordofthewingsblog @ gmail.com or here in the comment section!



BLACK LIVES MATTER & Happy Juneteenth!!!

No comments: