Sunday 21 June 2020

Big Boys Burgers - Whitby ON

This review is from March 2020


"Go Big or Go Home Hungry"

This is actually the last official food review I did before Covid-19 changed life here in Ontario. We had just brought back my father in law who had been traveling internationally when the Corono Virus was just starting to spill out across the world. It was good timing!



While he had been having some delicious meals, we were pretty sure he was getting tired of the same cuisine the whole time. We knew he was going to have missed eating beef, so getting some burgers seemed to be a great solution. We also decided to try out a new to us burger joint, Big Boy's Burgers. I had actually been there back in 2016 to try a wing review but it didn't work out. I wasn't doing wings this time though either so a proper wing review will have to wait.

I thought that this was an independent burger joint in Whitby ON, but it turns out it's a small chain. But it feels local. The place has kind of a race-car themed diner feel to the joint, with checkered flag patterns, flames painted on the walls, and tables made with diamond tread garage flooring. There is also some patio seating outside, but inside is booths and tables. It was very busy with both dine-in and take-out and this was on a weekday!


 The staff were super friendly. The cashier (and possibly manager, possibly owner? she seemed in charge!) was very willing to explain the whole menu and make recommendations. They young guys making the burgers were also super friendly and chatting me up while they assembled burger after burger!

We looked at the menu board and the family sat down and I went up to order at the counter . Burgers are obviously the main show here, but you can also get wings, souvlaki, cheesesteaks, poutine and more - my kind of place! Prices were pretty reasonable too. And they serve Coke products.


The burgers were all made to order, and they have a large display case of toppings for you to personalize your burger the way you want, much like Harvey's. We all got combo's with fountain drinks and fries - I almost got onion rings because I love onion rings, but the fries just looked so good!


The cashier/manager woman was enthusiastic about the fries being just like chip truck fries, and they were. They are fresh-cut, skin on, a little chunky but not too thick either. I topped mine with salt and had vinegar and ketchup for dipping. And if I remember correctly, they had malt vinegar as well as regular vinegar.


LJ and her dad both got pretty simple burgers and I didn't want to hamper their eating with photos, so I didn't bother taking any shots of theirs.


We all got their 1/4 pound Original Burgers, but I added cheese and bacon to mine.


This is how I topped mine: Lettuce, pickle, hot peppers, cheese bacon, raw onion, tomato, mayo and hot sauce - just the way I like it! The bun was toasted but soft, the beef patty was meaty but also had that nice grilled flavour. Bacon was good and crispy and the cheese was melted just right. The veggies were nice and fresh too.


Overall I really enjoyed both the food and the service. This was a good burger, good fries, good times. I think this was actually the last restaurant I've stepped into since March, which seems crazy. But as my last for a long while, I don't regret it; Can't wait to one day go back!


Big Boys Burgers
308 Thickson Road, Whitby ON (and other locations)
bigboysburgers.com


No comments: