Wednesday 12 May 2021

TOMMY's DINING LOUNGE - Kanata ON

 On the run in Kanata and looking to grab a quick bite, I was feeling wings. I was looking to support local and try someplace knew. I checked out my delivery app to see what was in the area, and Tommy's came up. 


I had come across Tommy's back in pre-Covid 2020 online, but never followed up. Then earlier in 2021, I was looking at a food sub and saw people posting some photos and talking about Tommy's has great pizza and wings. Then, that fateful April day I saw Tommy's pop up in Skip the Dishes, and I decided to order some pick-up.


The app said that wings were $14.10 (10 cents?) for 10 wings, which seemed overprice for a pizza joint's wings. Maybe the app was upselling them (they do that) so I checked the website and their take-out menu listed wings at $12.25, but who knows how old that is. Plus Covid and who knows anymore.
I picked wings, picked my sauce, and was told it would be ready in 15 minutes. That was good because I was 15 minutes away.



Tommy's is kind of out of the way, in a business park area that is nestled between the 417 highway and homes. You wouldn't really come across it on a regular basis without working nearby, but in the plaza it's in, it's very well advertised. You shouldn't be able to miss it. I parked in Tommy's parking, and went to walk in, but the outside entrance said to enter through the other door. I went into the office tower, and kind of expected a bigger entrance, but it was just a door with Tommy's on it.

Before I could even reach for the door, a tall young dude in a mask was handing me my order. Wow! They must have been waiting and not have a lot of pick up orders these days. The order was a styrofoam container in a paper bag, and I was a little suspicious as it felt quite light.



I opened up the container, and was excited by the smell and the wet wet wings before me!



Wings come in an order of 10, and I got 10 wings. There were no sides (no veggies and no dip) and there was no napkins or anything for clean up. Thankfully I had a stack of napkins in the car.


The wings were a little small; not small, but on the smaller end of medium. They were relatively meaty to their size. The skin was dusted and deep fried, and they would have been crispy, if they weren't in so much thick sauce. The wing meat was tender enough, and it wasn't that difficult to pull apart the bones.



As mentioned above, the wings were well sauced. Really well sauced. This is how I like my wings. Your fingers are going to get sauce on them, and there is going to be extra sauce at the bottom. 



I went with Suicide, and was expecting something like 3rd Degree or Frank's Xtra Hot, but I got something else. It was a homemade sauce (or modified anyway) and that's awesome. The smell and the flavour totally reminded me of the suicide sauce from The Copper Mug in my hometown.


The sauce is chili-peppery, with a sweetness that is very subtle. I find it so very tasty. I don't find it that hot though - not a true suicide but it has enough of  a kick for those wanting to try hotter but aren't there yet. The sauce is thick and rich, and it just brought me to a place of nostalgia, warmth, with a little kick.


FINAL SCORE

Tommy's was one of those little surprises I'm happy to come across. While the wings weren't the biggest, I liked the texture on them, and I loved the suicide sauce. The price was a bit high for the amount of chicken, but the flavour really came though on that sauce. Will have again. 9.5/15


Tommy's Restaurant
260 Hearst Way, Kanata ON




No comments: