Thursday 20 May 2021

#tbt & #lostreview = MORTY's PUB 2014 Waterloo ON

 It's time for another #throwbackthursday & #lostreview


The year was 2014 and it was a time that I just didn't get any posting done for the blog. Found in my stash of lost files was a folder I had labeled "Waterloo". In that folder were two folders, Wilf's, and Morty's. When I looked into the folders, the Wilf's folder had a photo of a steak sandwich and wings in a hotel room. This was not from Wilf's. When I looked in the Morty's folder, it was a mix of photos; some from Wilf's and some from Morty's. Turns out, no wing photos from Wilf's (just the menu and some restaurant shots), but there were pics from Morty's.


I was in Waterloo in May of 2014 for what I think was a conference for work. I don't remember going to Morty's on this occasion, but I had been years before when my bud Jason used to go to uni at Laurier and we went. Morty's was famous for being a student hang out and for their jumbo meaty wings. 


I was there on Wednesday May 14th, and unfortunately Morty's wing nights were Tuesdays and Thursdays. I still got wings, which were $10.99 for 1lb, which came out to about 7 wings. My server was Sam F and he was excellent. No I don't have an amazing memory, I just have the receipt still and actually took some notes! I had a Mountain Dew to drink, which was $2.99. 


The wings didn't come with veggies and dip, but for $1.59 I got some. Fresh carrots and celery, and the dip was a creamy dill dip: It was thick and clearly mayo based as it had the strong taste and texture of mayo with dill. The dip wasn't cold so I wasn't gaga over it.



I ordered their "Buttery Hot" with a side of suicide. It was served on the smallest plate, which seems a bit odd, but it was a glorious sight.



The wings at Morty's were HUGE. Jumbo chicken wings that were so big and meaty, that each one was heavy to lift! Just massive. They were also breaded which made them crunchy. They were cooked just right as the meat was tender; jumbo wings I find are often over or under cooked, but Mort knew what he was doing!


The wings were extremely well sauced! Every inch of the wings were sopping wet and coated in their Butter Hot sauce. It was a very thick, creamy sauce. Basically a Buffalo-type sauce made with butter and hot sauce. It was rich and delicious.


I got a side of their "Killer Suicide", which seemed a bit unnecessary considering how wet the wings came to start. This suicide was more vinegary, like Frank's Red Hot with some spices and cayenne powdered on top. Visually it was a great presentation, and it was a good sauce, but it wasn't killer or suicide to me. 


I don't think I've been back since then (don't get to Waterloo very often at all), but the whole experience on this visit was awesome. Great service, jumbo crispy wet wings, and Mountain Dew. At the time I highly recommended Morty's Pub!


Morty's Pub
272 King Street North, Waterloo ON
mortys.com


No comments: