Wednesday 16 December 2009

WWWWWW #5 - Bluejake

It's another exciting edition of:





Yes, World Wide Web Wacky Wing Wednesday. WWWWWW. This is where I will surf the Web, and find other people talking about chicken wings. The world is full of chicken wing stories, wacky and otherwise. Recipes, restaurant reviews, eating contests or whatever. Today's Blog relating to wings in some shape or form:




Bluejake is a photo blog by Manhattanite Jake Dobkin. His blog is about, well I will let him explain (please note his information has been shortened from this page):





"ExplanationBluejake is a photoblog run by me, Jake Dobkin, a photographer living in Brooklyn. It focuses mainly on urban landscape . . . if it is your first time here, take a look around the blog; I post a new picture on the front page a few times each week.


Also check out the photoessays, which are photo projects with more than one picture. If you're still thirsty for more, check out the blog archives, which go back to February 2002. You could also check out the full list of entry tags. Finally, for the first few years I did the site, I also kept separate photo galleries for big events and trips-- you can find those in the old gallery section.


My Equipment Canon SD950 and Canon D20 SLR. A Bogen Tracker 6' Tripod. 420EX flash. Canon EF USM lenses: 24mm and 35mm. I also toy with a film camera-- the Contax T2. My ProcessingIn general, I follow this process in Photoshop: RAW processor, curves (sometimes with gradients), and unsharp mask. "






I have to be honest, I don't follow his blog regularly. Not because he doesn't have fabulous photos (he does), I really only came across his website a long time ago while google searching chicken wings, and I saved it to use someday (long before WWWWWW was even a thought in my head).



When I did do the search, photos entitled "Pretty Girls Eat Spicy Wings" came up from back in 2004. Here's what went down:



"I'm interrupting my East Village series to bring you some hot, spicy pictures from Tien Mao's weekly chicken wings night at Croxleys in the East Village. I went to confirm the legend of ten cent wings- they turned out to exist, with an additional bonus: $4 beers. All the BBQ sauce and beer made it difficult to shoot these portraits- and since I only brought my Tilt/Shift lens (I shot 9th to 11th street afterwards), I tried to use it to maximum advantage. It doesn't have auto focus, though- so that might explain some of the blur. One additional note: to the best of my knowledge, all the ladies pictured above are already taken. Sorry!"





Mmmmmm, tilt shift lenses and 10 cent wings. And I won't lie, those look like the biggest 10 cent wings I have ever seen. Not that you can find a deal like that much anymore.


I really want wings right now.


And a tilt shift lens.


And a camera that I could put a tilt shift lens.


2 comments:

Chris said...

That was cool, I just learned about tilt shift lenses! Interesting effect.

Lord of the Wings said...

Chris - I love tilt-shift lenses - so minature, so cool