Monday 8 February 2021

#nonwingsunday = Super Bowl Spread from Hometown Sports Grill


Sometimes my food wants/needs/desires does not always line up with my friends and family; not everyone wants wings all the time ... I guess. So trying to find a Super Bowl special that met my wants for supper and the folks in my household made it a bit tricky. One thing we all were ok with was not actually watching football. I checked a bunch of places out, but one seemed to work for everyone here: Hometown Sports Grill.

Their deal was "Pick Six Touchdown Special" which was pick any 6 for $85 + tax. You could get  the Pick Three Field Ball Special for $45 + tax, but there were 3 of us and we wanted a bit of a spread, not to last but for gluttony reasons.

I called on Friday just to check on the rules and it was simple: call on Sunday, order, call when you arrive and they will call you to come in to pick up. I asked if I could order Saturday, which they said for sure, but then we forgot to call Saturday to late. 



So we called Sunday right at 4pm when they opened. It took lots of tries to get through but we did, and were told they couldn't provide food until after 6 or 6:30 based on orders. We said great because we wanted a 7:30 pick up. No problem. We went with 2 orders of Ribs, 3 Beef Tacos, 1 large poutine, 3 Desserts (Oreo Hushpuppies is what we chose) and an order of wings (I got suicide with sauce on the side) with fries.



 I arrived for pick up a bit early. They were having a few delays so they offered me a free pop (but I declined). When it was ready, they gave me a free order of Vegan Nachos for having to wait! The gesture was super nice, but I had made Trash Can Nachos Saturday and we already had leftovers. Oh well.

Here the food breakdown:

  • 1/2 Rack RIBS & FRIES x2: Saucey Meaty ribs - the family thought they were ok, but they are not huge fan of American style bbq sauced ribs, so I didn't put much stock in that opinion. The fries are thin and limp, but I like that style once and a while
  • 3 Beef Tacos: Big hit! Softshelled with a mix of meats and some fresh veggies on top with like a ranch-like dressing. Very beefy & flavourfull.  
  • Poutine: giant delicious mess of fries, gravy and cheese curds. The curds were all melted by the time I got home, but this was exactly what I was looking for in a poutine today!
  • Suicide Wings: The container said "Plain" so I was worried they forgot my side of suicide sauce, but it was in there :) But no fries :(  Wings were very crispy - a little dried out but it was a long drive home. The homemade suicide was really good - cayenne based with a nice zing to it!
  • Oreo Hushpuppies: There were three containers of 5 each. These were AH-MAZING! By a stunning amount of will power I only at 2, but these were just awesome. 


Overall, the food was good, service was friendly, and it was good to support a local business!


To see my wing review of Hometown from 2018 go HERE.


No comments: