Wednesday 10 February 2021

JERSEY JOES PIZZA - Smith Falls ON

This is another #2020Catchup review from September.


So it's been months of the pandemic, and while we were healthy and doing well, we had followed most of all the restrictions and suggestions that came along with it. But we really needed to do something and get out, and going to a drive-in movie seemed to be the perfect choice. So we headed off to Port Emsley cinema on a date night, with a plan to stop in Smith Falls first to pick up supper.


I had looked up a few places to do take-out wings, so we drove down town, which was ripped up for construction. After following some detours, we finally got to the joint ... and it was closed! What?!?! So I quickly thought back to where else I was interested in, and Jersey Joes came to mind. I've passed this place almost every time I've been to Smith Falls, but never paid much attention. We were going to have to be quick, because I had timed our dinner pick-up with movie opening, and now we had lost a lot of time. 



The place from the outside looks like a diner/ice cream parlor. Inside, it still kind of does, but with a pizza joint flare. All the dine-in seating had been stacked up and everything was to go. When I walked in, there were 2 or 3 staff working. The friendly older gentleman behind the counter pulled up his mask and came to take my order. 


We went with their Medium Pizza and Wings combo. I asked how long it would take as we were headed to the Port Elmsley and he said about 15 minutes, which worked out. He was excited to hear we were down from Ottawa and headed to the movies. 15 minutes later I came back and our food was ready. The pizza box was heavy! 


We sped to the theatre, just making it in time to get settled in for the previews. They had some COVID restrictions going on (spaced out cars, no setting up outside, etc) but we found a good space. The movie was Grown-Ups 2, an old movie, and we weren't super keen on watching it, but we wanted to do something fun!


We ordered a medium pizza, but the box felt like a few pizzas were in there. The whole drive all I could smell was the pizza and wings and I was really hungry.


It was a 3 topping pizza, so we went for Bacon, Italian Sausage, and Pepperoni. The pizza was kind of a mix between an Ottawa-style Pizza (thick crust & cheese, toppings under the cheese) and pizza as I knew it else where (toppings on top, classic tomato sauce). At first, I thought the round discs on top were pepperoni, but they were in fact the Italian sausage. It didn't taste like Italian sausage but it was good. The pepperoni was much thinner and hiding under the cheese. The bacon was chopped up and crispy on top of the cheese. I don't know if it was just because I was really hungry or because I hadn't had pizza in a while, but it was just so good. I really enjoyed it. 


Of course, there were also wings ...




The wing's at Jersey Joe's are sold by number, not weight, so you know how many wings you are going to get, just not the size. In this case, our special was 10 wings and we got 10 wings. They don't come with any veggies or dip. As for cleanup, at the door they had napkins, cutlery, and upon request some plates for us to eat on.



This was a decently sized take-out wing. Medium all around - in length, height, and meatiness. The skin was nice and crispy, and it held up well tossed in sauce and the ride to the theatre (about 10 km away).


The wings were cooked so that while there was crispy skin, the meat was still tender and it took little effort to pull bones apart. 


I had ordered the wings Hot, and they came well sauced in a cayenne-based sauce. I know it was probably just Frank's, but these wings smelled just like American Buffalo wings. There was something about the sauce that was so good, and just slightly different. But it might have been all in my head.



FINAL SCORE:

It may have just been the taste of freedom, but this was such a good meal. Eating in the car, watching a movie, spending time with my sweetie. Jersey Joe's really came through for us. Thick, cheesy, topping filled pizza, with crispy, saucy wings. Really good. Grown Ups 2, not so much. 9/14




Jersey Joe's Pizza
8 Union Street, Smith Falls ON (and a location in Perth)




 

No comments: