Tuesday 13 January 2009

WK Multi-rib Tasting PART I ~ RNW

The news last month that the London Ribfest may be no more got the crew riled up and interested in putting on our own private rib festival. Then, I was like, I'm going to have to practice to make something interesting. and tasty. I have a competitive streak sometimes, what can I say?


After seeing ribs on sale at the grocery store (two full racks for $10) I couldn't pass. I didn't have one particular rib in mind - I had a bunch - and I was in an experimenting mood. So my Multi-Rib Tasting was born.



I cut the two racks into 4 for 4 different rib types to try. I've had to split this into two posts because its just too much rib goodness for one post.

Oh boy this is going to be good.





First off, my order is a little off. I'm posting each one as I ate it, not made it. But here we go.

Pot Boiled - ok so I can't think of what to call this cooking method. If I had a crock pot, (well, I do have a crock pot but its in trailer DOWN BY THE RIVER in Scotland) I would have used it, instead I used low and slow in a pot on the stove.

INGREDIENTS
  • side ribs, cut individually
  • Memphis style bbq sauce (recipe in Part II)
  • bbq sauce ( I used PC Smokin' Stampede Beer & Chipotle Barbecue Sauce)
  • apple juice
  • ketchup

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a pot, add Memphis bbq sauce, habanero bbq sauce, apple juice and ketchup. How much? Um, 2/5 bbq, 2/5 apple juice, and 1/5 ketchup. Roughly? I don't follow a recipe I just tossed it in.
  2. Bring to a slight boil mixing sauces thoroughly.
  3. Add ribs, reduce heat. Cook for about an hour. Give or take. Until meat is fall off the bone basically.


Ribs into the sauce. The liquid was a little too runny than I wanted, but
I didn't feel like adding anything to thicken it up.


After cooking for over an hour, these ribs were fall off the bone.
As in I pulled the ribs out and the meat fell off and I had to fish in the sauce with my tongs for the meat.



The meat was so very tender. The BBQ sauce was mild, but it went well with the tender pork.




For my first rib tasting of the night, I was happy and gobbled these up in a few short minutes.


I have to be a little honest, growing up I was never big into ribs. We didn't really have a bbq rib in my house hold, we had 'spare ribs' that were baked in lots of sauce. And I know as Ironic as this is from a chicken wing eater, I always found that ribs seemed to be more work than the food you got off them.
Since then, I have sampled a number of different types of ribs, but my love lies in chicken wings. And after having 'suicide ribs' from Fire Island bbq, I thought, why can't you sauce a rib like a wing? Sure, Fire Island was a little too fruity flavoured for my liking, I thought I would make something killer.


INGREDIENTS
Dry Rub
  • chili flakes
  • cayenne pepper
  • salt & pepper
  • paprika
  • garlic powder

Rib Suicide Sauce

  • margarine
  • hot pepper sauce (I used Grace's - I will do a sauce review soon on this stuff)


INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Boil ribs for about 2-5 minutes to cook through.
  2. Rub dry rub over ribs. RRR
  3. Preheat oven to 300. Add ribs
  4. Melt margarine in bowl in the microwave. Add pepper sauce (about 50/50 mixture).
  5. When ribs are nearly done, flip, baste with suicide sauce.
  6. Flip again and baste other side.
  7. Remove ribs and add ribs to sauce. Enjoy! carefully . . .
Spicy dry rub. Oooh it just looks hot.


The ribs rubbed.



Suicide ribs are on the bottom and have been basted in the sauce. The ribs at the top resting are the Apple Juiced ribs . . . as seen in Part II.


That looks like a tasty wing. I mean rib, rib. Oooh I loved the sauce on it.



Another beauty shot. I was most excited to try these.



The pork wasn't as tender as the pot boiled method, but they were very tasty. And spicy, oh many was it spicy.


My conclusion is that butter and hot sauce can make any meat taste good. Although my mouth was pretty much on fire, these were finger licking good ribs. I can taste it right now!
=============================================

POT BOILED RIBS
WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY: Well, I envisioned a thicker sauce, but there was a lot of apple juice in there. While the juice didn't overpower the sauce at all, it gave it a hint of apple bouquet. The wings were very mild, and while I didn't want anything spicy here, there needed to be something to make it a little more bold. And thick. Next time.

SUICIDE RIBS
WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY: Nothing. They were exactly what I was looking for. Spicy, savoury - just tasty. My mouth was on fire and I was in heaven. And keeping the ribs in the sauce for dipping was great.

===========================


No comments: