Monday 26 April 2021

Hot Wings Grill & Rib House - Toronto 2012

 = Hot Wings Grill & Rib House is CLOSED - RIP =

It's time for another #tbt & #lostreview!


Well it's time for another mystery wing review. I had in my old photo archives of lost reviews this review of Hot Wings Grill & Rib House in a folder from 2012. Seems about right, and I posted it was from 2012. Well if it's not the darndest thing, I wanted to know what month the photo was from, so I checked it's properties. Seems the photo was created Nov 8 2012, but it was modified September 25th 2010 !?!?!? What? How is that possible? 


I've tried digging Hot Wings Grill up from the internet, and there is almost nothing left of this place. At first I couldn't find the website, or reviews, or menus or anything under the address or the name. My Google-Fu was weak. But after some more digging, I've found their facebook, and some reviews, and even the link to the old website (which no longer works). 

Google Streetview from 2012 as it would have been

Here's what I do remember: When I first noticed this place, I was excited (a new wing joint!) but I was kind of put off because they proudly baked their wings, not fried them. I seem to remember them being pricey (but can't find a menu to prove that) and more focused on ribs than wings. So I didn't go right away. Then one night, probably a wing night (I recently found a review that said Tuesdays were $7.95 for wings and fries) I took a street car and went for dinner. Casual place, looked like many other bars in town.


Several of the reviews were not good:
"Jennifer Williams  August 11, 2010
Wings were good not great. I ordered suicide and they were medium to hot. Also the place was dirty. Not very appetizing. The place was empty so there was plenty of time to clean.

Michelle Del Rosario  October 9, 2011

Never get delivery from this place. First they get the order wrong even if the simpliest order ever and they take over an hour to deliver when the estimated time was 20 minutes.

Mike Dodd  March 11, 2014

Easily some of the worst wings and customer service i have had in years. Avoid" 


But there were a few praises:

Been here 5+ times
I fucking love this place"

HOT WINGS - GRILL AND RIB HOUSE - They make the most amazing grilled Wings, Even though they are not on the menu , they have the grilled wings most of the time. Be sure to ask the waitress for Grilled - Not Fried as I think they normally serve the win gs fried . I always have the sauce on the side as the flavor of the wings from the marinade and the grilling are spectacular and I find I don't really need the sauce. This restaurant has such a cool casual atmosphere , prices are very reasonable , other menu items ive had are also delicious ie Ribs and Pulled Pork Sandwiches .Just a really nice place to go and have good food and a good time . If you like really hot sauce try their "911" Hot Sauce - at your own risk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!."

I remember the wings being ok, but nothing amazing. The fries were just ok. The wings were sauced well, a decent size, but being baked they were not as crispy as fried wings would be. I went in with lowered expectations and it kinda hit where I thought it would. 


It's funny, because after reading part of their bio, one would expect more:


"WELCOME TO HOT WINGS GRILL AND RIB HOUSE

HOT WINGS GRILL AND RIB HOUSE was developed gradually over the last ten years. The two partners have both been involved in the restaurant, bar and quick service food industry for practically their entire working careers.

“With our years of experience in the industry, we developed The HOT WINGS GRILL AND RIB HOUSE concept

To bring to the customers what we felt that they are not getting in the marketplace today. “We have taken from the best, added our expertise to improve on service, value and quality and added our own very special touch.”

OUR MISSION : To create a warm , comfortable environment where everyone can come in , relax , have a wonderful meal or just enjoy a couple of drinks .We offer value with our very reasonably priced menu and will do whatever we can to make your visit at HOT WINGS a great experience. We also have some great TV’s to watch those nail biting sports games.

HOT WINGS GRILL AND RIB HOUSE is not just another “Wing Joint”. Yes we do sell wings, as that is what our customers want. Our wings are not breaded or covered in batter, and we cook them from fresh. We offer a variety of sauces, some the regular classic style, and for the adventurous, we have created a small range of delicious gourmet sauces. We do not simply cover our wings with sauces and spices of the shelf. "


That looks like ranch or dill dip that came with the wings. No veggies. Looks like I got about 8 or so wings, but I could have been wrong. 

It's sad when small businesses close, especially wing joints, but something clearly didn't work here. I didn't write the review and I never went back. By 2014 they were closed down. 

Did you eat there? Do you remember Hot Wings? #lotwwants2know !!!


Hot Wings Grill & Rib House (closed)
563 Queen Street, Toronto ON
hotwingsbbq.ca


No comments: