Tuesday 31 March 2020

Piller's Buffalo Chicken Sausage Snack


I am always up for pretty much anything chicken wing related. Chicken wing chips, chicken wing nuts, chicken wing dip, chicken wing pretzel nuggets. So when I saw Buffalo Chicken pepperoni sticks at the store, I didn't even hesitate to buy them. Well, they were on sale so I was even more encouraged to buy them.


The packaging is pretty underwhelming and if I wasn't already looking at Piller's pepperoni sticks to begin with, I would have easily missed this. I mean, there isn't even a chicken wing on the cover, but at least they have Buffalo sauce.


 After getting this I looked over their social media and saw no advertising for this product either. They do have it on their website - but there isn't anything highlighting it other than an item on a menu list. Way to sell your product Pillers!



The back of the package is almost unreadable. It wasn't until I saw the website info that I could even read the ingredients. I'm happy to see chicken and cayenne sauce powder on there as well as some other spices and even natural smoke. This may contain egg ... but is that from the chicken?


Nothing seems out of the ordinary for commercial pepperoni sticks, so that's good. Even the bad stuff doesn't seem so bad. It's 50 Calories per stick, and 22% Meat Protein. I don't know if that's good or not. I also find it funny that they call this a sausage snack. Sausage just doesn't seem like a snack.



These say spicy, but that could be a gamble. Sometimes pepperoni sticks can get spicy or stingy, or they can fall flat.

The first thing I noticed when looking closely at the package was the condensation inside. That's a little weird. I think.


They were really wet inside too. The smell when opening up the resealable opening was immensely sour. Like sour bleach. It was not pleasant. At all. The colour was really light too, but I'm assuming that's from chicken verses pork or beef?


The size seems on par for Piller's other pepperoni products. They are (by eyeballing it) about 15 centimeters long. It is also more slimey and wet than a regular meat stick from Piller's.


I took a bite - SOUR! Wow was that sour. I mean it smelled sour and the first bites were sour. My first impression - I did not like this.



It's weird. There is no way anyone would guess Buffalo chicken from this. If you stop and think about it, you can taste some spice. You can even taste garlic. There is also a hint of smoke. But not Buffalo.

I will say that once you get past the initial sour smell and flavour, it's not bad. I like the garlic and the spice and the smoke. Like, but not love.


The other downside to this product is the texture. It's tough. The skin/casing is really tough and trying to bite a piece off is a challenge. It's kind of leathery in that it's pliable, but there's no give. The meat is also chewy and there's no give. Even for a meat stick.


WOULD I BUY IT AGAIN?

No. Big old nope. It's tough, and it smells. It's flavour is nothing Buffalo-like. If you make it past the sour start and the tough casing, it's ok, but I wouldn't recommend even bothering. I wonder if this is why Piller's hasn't promoted it at all.

Piller's
Buffalo Chicken Sausage Snack

No comments: